TWIT 850: Leo, not Leopoldo

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

As was discussed, it isn’t that everybody will be repairing their own devices, but that they can use someone local to do the repairs.

Here, the official repair route is to send the device to Apple and wait 2 weeks for it to come back, and it might be fixed - with my first iPhone, Apple needed 3 attempts to fix it, so 6 of the first 7 weeks of ownership, it was away at an Apple repair centre.

A colleague at work does repairs on the side. You give him the phone and he brings it back the next day, repaired. An iPhone battery replacement costs around 50€.

2 Likes

Anyone else bristle a little bit at the prospect of Apple working with municipalities re: traffic data collection and/or integration as a distinguishing feature?

My immediate first thought was r/ABoringDystopia where the Apple cars have the best integration into the municipalities’ systems, and therefore the engineers and planners optimize the flow of traffic for those cars.

1 Like

The State has to run everything, hence the requirements for a project manager and providing the resources.

Essentially Apple provide a standard API for the states to use to transfer/confirm the license and for reading the license from the phone for confirmation at the side of the road.

It should just the equivalent of a wallet style app that the state could run themselves, only it is a national standard.

I don’t believe that was the discussion I heard. It was around the “what does an Apple car look like” discussion that one of the panelists mentioned a distinguishing feature (potentially) being integration to municpalities’ traffic systems. I don’t recall license authentication being there, although I agree an open standard around this would be beneficial.

They discussed both. Apple announced a while back that they want to store the driving license in the Apple Wallet. They have now made a firm specification about how this works. This includes that the states will have to continue to run the infrastructure around issuing and controlling the licenses, just that it provides a way to read the license in the wallet, but the states are responsible for financing this.

Smart roads have been on the agenda for a couple of decades, with lamposts, traffic signals, road signs etc. all being able to talk to traffic and the traffic being able talk to other vehicles. There were even plans to put inductive charging into the road surface, so that cars can charge themselves whilst driving (E.g. when waiting at junctions). That is a totally separate thing and was a separate discussion on the show.