TWIT 801: I Can't Believe It's Not Minecraft

I do agree that Leo has been overly exuberant about all things apple. I told him that last week…and he sort of acknowledged that telling all PC ppl to “start learning apple” was not appropriate.
But im starting to see (rightly or wrongly) that he still has that “stir the pot, get people angered enough to call and and debate him” talk radio personality in him. He even came out and said that he’d rather have a debate on the “ask the tech guy” show, than have yet another person ask “how do get my printer to work”. He admits that he has a garage sale every year of all the stuff that he got excited about and just “had to have”, and after a few weeks, did nothing but collect dust. I wish the apple over exuberance would calm down too…but for the meantime, im trying to take it in stride. “Leo being Leo”. Remember the “Sourdough” months. It came, it went. And the Butterfly keyboard. I like the feel of the “traditional” keaboard better, but its not a dealbreaker. I dont go crazy about it. And i dont care for dongles, or cooking or travel.
But i like intelligent conversation. So im trying to take the things that dont appeal to me in stride, and keep listening.
Personally, what i like best is when he talks about the difficulties of running a small business. That I can really relate to…but its almost always during the pre-show, and Leo doesnt talk about it much.
beth

1 Like

I guess if Apple would stop producing so many excellent products, you could avoid the discussions - I’m sorry about your case of Apple PTSD

3 Likes

@Computeforloot you are a shameless Apple Koolaid drinker… I can almost forgive you this weakness… but you have no need to pretend like Apple products are excellent. They’re merely adequate… and only if you have stupid money. I do not have stupid money and thus I do not buy Apple. I need more than “feels” to decide the product is right for my needs. I buy products that do what I want and need, not what some company wants me to do and need to do.

Hey…Ive had Apple computers/laptops since the beginning (1992 in my case), but never an iphone. There are plusses and minuses to everything, and a lot depends on personal taste. Im not doing nummerical models of the atmosphere on my laptop, so my intel macbookpro is fine. I dont need super-duper fast. And, in fact, the M1 computers apparently have a number of compatibility issues, and the amount of time i would waste solving those issues would far outweigh the any gains from it being faster, which i dont even need. I think it would be nice if Leo acknowledged that not everyone has the computing priorities that he does. He’s obviously a sensitive guy…maybe some day…

beth

PS…and yes, money is an issue for a lot of people, and I think that should be acknowledged. Maybe Leo should do some shows on what is “the best bang for the buck”. Altho Leo recently has said that he;d rather the shows go more in the direction of tech pros/industry ppl/enterprise, rather than cater to everyday “tech users” like myself. I use tech for business, but im not in the tech business.

I’m not an Apple fan, but what Apple have produced with the M1 is a significant step forward. It is going to shake up the industry, for better or worse. If I could buy an M1 Mac with Linux installed, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

Intel have been dragging their heels for a long time now. They have failed to move from 14nm in their designs and their “tick-tock” design updates have been tick-tock-tock-tock-tock-tock of late. Their clock needs to go to the menders! They have manaed to get limited 10nm production, but can’t make it in large numbers and their latest chips had to be backported back to a 14nm design.

AMD has finally caught up and overtaken them, after several years of living in the doldrums. They got to 7nm and their next chips will be 5nm, like Apple have done. Their high-end desktop parts are still faster than what Apple has produced so far, but the Apple chips, in pure performance terms, have outstripped the competition.

What they have produced so far are chips for entry level devices that don’t need as much expandability (there is none available, what you buy is a good as it gets). I am very interested to see what their professional level chips will bring. The M1 design won’t work on a larger, more powerful device, because there just isn’t that much space on a chip for dozens of cores and tens of gigabytes of RAM, let alone the rest of what they have integrated into the M1.

But, it is still a significant achievement that has left the rest of the industry floundering in their wake, at least in the mobile (laptop) sector. And the rest of the industry isn’t producing anything to shout about at the moment. Apart from security breaches and corporate takeovers, this is probably the only significant piece of news in the last several weeks.

Yes, it is getting boring for non-Apple fans, but it is, like it or not, the only real news in town. The new AMD graphics cards are interesting, but, like the new nVidia cards, nobody can get their hands on them to review them properly because crypto-miners and scalpers botted them off the shelves.

5 Likes

The point is, tho, there are things to talk about in tech, other than whats the latest and greatest, and what appeals to just the tech industry ppl.

I think that Leo severly limits his audience, when he only “talks” to tech industry ppl, when there there are far more of us “outside the tech industry” tech users. We are the bulk of the purchasing market, and im surprised that Leo doesnt solicit more advertising from “Pro-sumer” sellers, and want to talk to us.
For example…a year ago in needed to buy a new laptop and and lighting and mics and a camera to build a small home studio. Not for the web, as much as audition tapes, etc. I did all the research myself , cause I couldnt find anyone on the TWIT network who could help me figure out what was the best bang for the buck for an audition studio. I was in no position (nor did i want to) go out and just spend a ton of money on the latest and greatest, just cause it was the latest and greatest.

Today on TWIT, they talked about a hack into the Treasury Dept. Now thats interesting.
beth

1 Like

Cant disagree more. Apple has never been merely adequate.

1 Like

To each their own, as always. But…
flakey breakey keyboards
a security chip with a fatal flaw that cannot be fixed without a recall
delete key/backspace/home/end keys that don’t make sense to the rest of the computer industry
craptastic ear buds that came with phones and iPods forever
the inability to play most games on Macs because of inadequate video cards and Apple’s unwillingness to support OpenGL
every other phone on the planet already supporting USB-C
$500 headphones with $250 worth of value (as compared to a better competitor’s product)
$400 wheels
$1000 monitor stand

those are just a few things off the top of my head…

I’m not saying Apple is bad, I’m just not saying they don’t have a lot of room for improvement in any area beyond industrial design. The hardware durability seems good, but on the other hand I have an iPad 4 that Apple killed/unsupported well before I was done using it, and a Mac Mini (2012 model) that could run Big Sur but for the fact that Apple arbitrarily decided its time had come. I’m still running Windows 10 on PC’s that are WAY older than that Mac Mini.

2 Likes

Yes, i have to agree that apples “anything over 7 years old is obsolete” policy, and their “we’ve decided what u need” approach to some things, is just arrogant, and hardly consumer friendly, IMHO

6 Likes

So true! I can absolutely forgive TWiT for spending some extra time on the topic. Even disregarding the seriously impressive power consumption-per-performance benchmarks, it’s an architecture shift for a major end user OS! That hasn’t happened in what… 15 years?

The M1 is, for once, actually a revolutionary Apple product as opposed to iterative. The first mainstream desktop OS to make the jump to an ARM processing architecture succesfully. I think Leo and co. have been more than fair on calling out Apple’s tendency to be full of itself when it comes to new products in the past, but this is truly something to be talked about.

BTW, I’m a diehard PC user. AMD Threadripper build and actively scouring retailers for a 6900XT. Wouldn’t touch an Apple anything with a 10 foot pole. And I’m typing this out on an i7 Surface Laptop 3.

4 Likes

I loved the show. I laughed when I saw it was 3 hours plus before I listened, but it was entertaining. I always enjoy David Pogue. Some good topics were brought up. As far as the shows lately being Apple heavy, it seems to me that is a result of Apple rolling out so many new products in the last several months.

I enjoyed the conversation about the headphones. Call me crazy, but when Apple indicated they would have a “holiday surprise,” my first thought was that they might up the amount of free iCloud space, since they came out with so much stuff to spend money on in the past few months. And as a holiday gift because of the tough year we all experienced.

Then I came to my senses, remembered it was Apple, and was not shocked that they would ignore the money woes of many, and put out an outrageously priced set of headphones, with a woman’s undergarment for storage. Forget to put on it’s bra, the battery keeps going, and soon, you too can buy a $79.00 replacement battery. It just works!

3 Likes

LOL, I own many Apple products because they represent great value and performance to me! :grin:

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m not sure why people don’t get that??:grin:

2 Likes

aaaahahahahaha, you nailed it!! Well done Beth LMAO

I never forget to put on my bra, but thats another story.
(sorry, I can’t resist an open line)

2 Likes

Well said, and you are exactly correct

3 Likes

I started buying Apple products in 2008, decades after I had been buying computers. I have to tell you, the difference between getting Apple products set up and working and virtually anything else was night and day. So I agree they have never been merely adequate. Worth the premium if you can afford it.

2 Likes

Hey…I started all this, and ive had apple computers since 1992, but what Im saying is…it would be nice if we all stopped all the tribal “mine is better” crap, and just said what we liked or disliked about about a product, and acknowledged that other peoples’ “mileage may be different” . Tribal politics is bad enough…do we really have to have that kind of nonsense with computers too? IDK whats with ppl. I’d think that computer ppl would at least be mature enough to not act like high school football fans.

5 Likes

Oh so YOU’RE the “Beth” he mentioned. Lol! (just kidding)

It was a good show, for sure. THANKS for watching

5 Likes

Yea, Im the “nastygram sending listener named beth”. I watch all the time. Im not nasty. Just learning to take Leo’s “exuberance” in stride…

5 Likes