TWIG 712: P for Prevaricate

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Perhaps @JeffJarvis could tone the Bing AI hate down a bit. It is getting better all the time and I have had accuracy issues with Google in the background.

I would love a Google less Android, I find Google Maps to be hopelessly innacurate in Europe, I hate all the endless popups and interruptions and I think there has been a political movement to force other app stores to be allowed on all platforms so Samsung could go Bing and there could be a non Google device.

3 Likes

Are Google and Bing using the save datasets, so in theory either could return false info? Or is Google better at checking results somehow?

There is a benefit to AI search IMO. I’ve been organising care for family for the last few months. Google will give me a list of articles and resources to work through one by one. But I asked Bing AI, and got useful, correct info in a much more readable format - and I could add questions such as ‘how do you get help with costs’ and it would return advice. Been 100% accurate.

My Samsung is almost Google-less already. I still use Google Maps, which works well for me on busy UK motorways. The majority of my apps and services are MS or Samsung.

As they said on WW, Samsung’s deal with Google is unlikely to be the standard MAD Agreement everybody else has to sign up to.

1 Like

We tried to us GM on hols in. Portugal and Spain, it was dreadful, 2 x took us to the wrong place most of the time went via the extreme route. Strangely Waze also owned by Google was miles (pun intended) better.

I would be interested to see how much Satya would pay to stick it to Google after all the nefarious things they have donE to Microsoft.

As for data sets Google search is far bigger than Bing, but returning 5000 results instead of 500 is a moot point when most people rarely make it past the second page.

1 Like

I tried it yesterday. I asked it a question about how much you can pay in cash in a single transaction, it was out by a factor of 10 (on the wrong side)! Luckily, I went through the linked articles, which had the correct amounts, but Bing just gave up the wrong information, despite having referenced the right information.

In other news, ChatGPT produces vulnerable code and only tells you it is vulnerable if you specifically ask it. In 5 from 21 cases, it produced good code first time, in a further 7 it managed to fix the initial problems after being told the code was vulnerable. In one case, it said where the problem was and how it could be remedied, but couldn’t actually do it itself, for the remaining 9 cases, it failed to produce secure code, even after prompting.

Even Bing isn’t recommending itself today :upside_down_face:

There was an odd one when first launched if you asked Bing who Andy Ihnatko was. It said he was married, had two kids. When you asked for sources, it linked to a blog of a fan which had a link to Andy’s interview on Triangulation which AFAIK, this wasnt discussed :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Not sure what to think, I still Find Bing to be better than Google for most things.