TTG 1815 for Saturday 31 July 2021 (Pruned discussion)

I am really disappointed in the Johnny Jet segments lately.

Facts: Breakthrough COVID infections are very rare. Latest numbers are 125,682 breakthrough cases out of 164.2 million people that are fully vaccinated. That is less than 1%. (Breakthrough Covid cases: Data shows how many vaccinated Americans have tested positive).

If you are unlucky enough to have a breakthrough case, it is highly unlikely that it will be anything that requires hospitalization.

A lot of people cite this MA study. But the sample size was just over 200 people and this is from the actual study. “First, data from this report are insufficient to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against SARS-CoV-2, including the Delta variant, during this outbreak. As population-level vaccination coverage increases, vaccinated persons are likely to represent a larger proportion of COVID-19 cases.” (Source: Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Including COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Infections, Associated with Large Public Gatherings — Barnstable County, Massachusetts, July 2021 | MMWR)

I always hear Leo and Johnny Jet (not to mention that total fear monger Dr. Mom) always say they will not travel here or there, not do this or that. That is ridiculous! You’re vaccinated! You guys are contributing to the false theory that “vaccines don’t work so why bother getting one.”

And kids are highly unlikely to have a serious case of COVID (source: In Children, Risk of Covid-19 Death or Serious Illness Remains Extremely Low, New Studies Find - WSJ)

If you are vaccinated, live your life. Period!

As someone that is vaccinated, I am living my life as best as possible. But, I still need to be careful. Just because I’m vaccinated, doesn’t mean I won’t catch Covid, or aid in transmission. It just means I won’t die.

Like it or not, until we achieve herd immunity, even vaccinated people need to be careful.

4 Likes

People want to believe the pandemic is over, and it’s not. The Delta variant is changing everything. Masking and social distancing are still wise actions until there is better control of variants. Fully vaccinated people are becoming carriers even if they have no symptoms. This 900-person delta cluster in Mass. has CDC freaked out—74% are vaccinated [Updated] | Ars Technica

And since Johnny has unvaccinated young kids at home that he could infect if he was to become breaktrough infected, I think he should be more cautious than less.

3 Likes

I already explained about that MA study and it’s flaws. The pandemic is not over if your unvaccinated. If your vaccinated, it should be over for you. Kids are not at high risk of coronavirus, period. See my first post for that.

There is a cost benefit analysis to everything. The bottom line Johnny’s kids (or anyone’s kids) have a much better chance of going to the hospital for many other issues other than COVID.

LIVE YOUR LIFE!!

Vaccines are also highly effective against symptomatic coronavirus and even higher against hospitalization. No reason what so ever to “be careful.” People have to be responsible and get vaccinated. Until then, vaccinated people should have to sacrifice quality of life for them.

You need to stop spouting your opinions as fact… especially when you’re promoting bad advice. The pandemic is not over and will not be over until everyone, worldwide, can be and is vaccinated (including children under 12.) As long as it spreads in any way, it will be mutating and new variants will occur. We already saw that it took advantage of a large unvaccinated population in India and mutated into the more infectious delta variant. As long as it is still spreading, who knows what comes next. Since most of the planet is not yet anywhere close to well vaccinated, and since we saw the delta variant develop in a location where there was a large unvaccinated population, it’s better at this point to continue intelligent safeguards like masking and social distancing.

3 Likes

Facts. Click tweet from graphics

When there is a known variant that evades vaccine efficacy against severe disease I will be more careful. We are not at that point, so there is no reason to “be careful.”

Masking is fine, but no reason for social distancing and business restrictions that hurt our economy. There is a cost benefit alalysis for everything and frankly, people like you are only looking at one side of it.

Ah, what do you know, the White House is frustrated with what it views as alarmist media coverage on Delta variant. At the heart of the matter is the news media’s focus on breakthrough infections, which the CDC has said are rare. In some instances, poorly framed headlines and cable news chyrons wrongly suggested that vaccinated Americans are just as likely to spread the disease as unvaccinated Americans.

Sounds like Leo and Johnny and that fear monger Dr. Mom fell into this trap.

Frankly I don’t know how anyone can accuse me of expressing my opinion when I cited CDC data and articles from trusted news sources. No Reddit or NewsMax sources from me!

The CDC has brought back a masking mandate because they’re concerned about the spread of the delta variant. You have stated wrong numbers and misquote articles. It’s time for you to stop.

2 Likes

Lost in all of this is the tole that lock-downs etc. have taken on kids, suicides, drug use, etc. The hidden suffering that is never taken in to account to satisfy sometimes political crap going on

I’m going to close this thread because this is not the place for this discussion. Things are in flux right now and it’s not clear what’s going on - but I would say it’s probably not the case that we should just all act like there’s no problem, even if we were all vaccinated.

Despite the fact that we are all vaccinated at TWiT we are resuming masking in the studio.

3 Likes