TTG 1725 for Sat 05 September 2020

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

I’m curious. Leo talks about having his house wired with Cat6. Why would you do that for a household? I think I remember he has a pretty sweet Eero mesh router system.

1 Like

Cable is always better than wireless. It is stable and it is, generally faster. I have a nice Unifi system, with ac. It gets around 105mbps, the cable 1000.

The cable goes through the walls and ceilings, wireless, not so much.

2 Likes

When the builder was building my house, I had the electrician pre-wire a dozen or so drops. In each drop is six wires. Three are RG60 for cable or satellite and three are Cat5 (this was before Cat6 or Cat6e were available) for internet and telephone. It cost me about $150 per drop in wire and labour, but it meant that I never had worry about wireless signals for high bandwidth things (like PS3/PS4 gaming or Plex movies, etc.) I even got wired adapters for my Chromecasts which makes them more reliable.

Basically, the long and the short of it is: wires usually mean one less problem to scratch your head over when things aren’t working well… because wires are not invisible and if something (outside or even inside your home) were interfering with them, you’d pretty much know what was going on. (I have the necessary tool to test continuity on wires, that’s a lot harder to do over wireless.)

Wires are also generally much more secure. If you could manage to only use shielded wired networking, someone would pretty much have to break into your house to hack your network. With wireless, you’re broadcasting the signal, and anyone could find a way to listen in from outside the house, leading to the possibility they might silently get on your network.

3 Likes

That’s why.

2 Likes

What were you getting with wireless?

Depends on the device, of course. My Macbook Air (Wi-Fi 5) is giving me 246Mbps/40Mbps. My iPhone 11 (Wi-Fi 6) reports: 284/38.

2 Likes