Ticker Tape Parade?

They just announced NYC will have a “Ticker Tape” Parade when the Pandemic is over.
Question… Where are they going to get ticker tape? Right next to the punch cards I guess.

2 Likes

Good question, do people even know what a Ticker is anymore…

1 Like

They tape them together, right? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Basically these days you use a lot of resources to specially make little bits of designer litter you buy, so you can then pay other people to sweep it all up, so that someone else can be paid to recycle it.

It’s the cycle of life in a world that lost it’s way,
(Probably dizzy from going in ever decreasing circles)

2 Likes

So, sometime mid-2022, going by the latest figures coming out of Johns Hopkins.

The last tickertape device I used was a Telex machine, back in the mid 80s… I’d guess you have to use the paper from a shredder these days, or somebody will have to specially produce it.

(Although shredded paper is usually covered in very fine paper dust, which can get into the lungs, probably not such a good idea, coming out of a respiratory based pandemic…

1 Like

What?
Same source as 2.5 million U.S. fatalities? Or was it 22 million?

In all sincerity please share the link that information.

Sorry, Harvard, not Johns Hopkins…

Also, the biggest problem is, even if we come up with a vaccine, it still needs to be trialled, before it can be released to the public, and you have production capacities to take into account.

And, even if we get the vaccine “on time”, i.e. early to mid 2021 for approval, it still needs to be made in sufficient quantities to vaccinate billions of people.

A Seattle based company is already cutting corners with their vaccine, going straight to human trials, cutting out the animal trials, which are there to ensure that the are no deadly side effects, before it is tested on humans.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/04/14/science.abb5793

Abstract

It is urgent to understand the future of severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) transmission. We used estimates of seasonality, immunity, and cross-immunity for betacoronaviruses OC43 and HKU1 from time series data from the USA to inform a model of SARS-CoV-2 transmission. We projected that recurrent wintertime outbreaks of SARS-CoV-2 will probably occur after the initial, most severe pandemic wave. Absent other interventions, a key metric for the success of social distancing is whether critical care capacities are exceeded. To avoid this, prolonged or intermittent social distancing may be necessary into 2022. Additional interventions, including expanded critical care capacity and an effective therapeutic, would improve the success of intermittent distancing and hasten the acquisition of herd immunity. Longitudinal serological studies are urgently needed to determine the extent and duration of immunity to SARS-CoV-2. Even in the event of apparent elimination, SARS-CoV-2 surveillance should be maintained since a resurgence in contagion could be possible as late as 2024.

When will we have a coronavirus vaccine?
A vaccine would normally take years, if not decades, to develop. Researchers hope to achieve the same amount of work in only a few months.

Most experts think a vaccine is likely to become available by mid-2021, about 12-18 months after the new virus, known officially as Sars-CoV-2, first emerged.

That would be a huge scientific feat and there are no guarantees it will work.

1 Like

Biontech in Germany was cleared to start human testing today. With accelerated trading, it should be available in the middle of 2021,if there are no problems.

The virologist they interviewed, said it was more likely to be 2022.

1 Like

There are multiple companies or Universities already in trials for a vaccine in the United States. I know of one human trial was started over a month ago in March here. I don’t think we will be in this for 1 to 2 years, there is unlike any other virus so much research is being done on this virus around the world. Not just the vaccine, but drug treatments and anti-body treatments are being tried also.

I have already figured that I would not get this shot for at least a year after it comes out. Sorry, but I don’t wanna be the guinea pig

1 Like

What could go wrong?

5 Likes