This Week in Google (Wednesdays) General Discussion

If the interface is white/grey, you notice the color temperature, and it influences your perception of the color of the image.

1 Like

Awesome thing to do.

1 Like

Agreed, sounds like (exhausting) fun, too.

New listener to TWiG, started listening after reading all the comments about the wide range of discussion. Got stuck on the initial discussion about effects of power outages last week.

On 7 February 2009, the Australian state of Victoria was hit by very high temperatures and high winds. Over 400 fires started state wide. 173 people died, and two towns were basically obliterated, Marysville and Kinglake. Where I lived in Beechworth, a fire started about 4kms from the centre of town, the result of a wooden pole catching fire when high winds broke a cable, causing sparking. Beechworth’s power came up the hill from the south on a single line, so power to the entire town had to be shut down for about 24 hours. The winds had just changed such that the fire spread away from Beechworth, but towards a small community called Stanley. The fire spread rapidly in the high winds, moving across the both densely wooded and long grass areas, at over 75kms/hr. 2 People were killed as a result of this fire. If the fire had started several hours earlier, or occurred on a pole the other side of Beechworth, who knows what would have happened. All mobile communications in the Stanley/Beechworth area were down, or useless, for much of the power outage time. POTS continued to work, as always, but most people either no longer had land lines, or used phones that required power. At 3am, I was on my front lawn, in awe of the almost daylight (but red) sky, in 35ΒΊC (thats 95ΒΊF) breezeless weather.

A Royal Commission was held over the next few months, the results of which were recommendations for replacement of wooden poles, underground cabling, more mobile towers with improved backup power, emergency warning system using mobile and landline communications, improvements to electrical network switching and routing, and much more. 10 years on, work continues to implement these recommendations.

Any of these problems sound familiar in the wake of the Northern California power outages? Victoria is very similar to Northern California, lots of trees, small rural towns, farming, hills and mountains. The weather either comes off the southern ocean, or from the northern desert areas, and changes can occur rapidly.

Every one of these problems was known in advance, but nothing was done until someone died. That seems to be the way of the world. It costs too much to be proactive, but it ends up costing more when you do it reactively. And the directors and management continue to get their bonuses. I would think someone at PG&E might actually be paid to read about such events worldwide.

5 Likes

Wow. What a story. I am so sorry about the fires. As you know, we’ve had terrible wildfires here, too. And, honestly, I suspect we haven’t seen the end of them. We’ve built so much of California in historic fire areas. You can only thwart nature for so long.

3 Likes

Best dad award goes to @karsten!

2 Likes

Exactly. It makes colors pop. I love the look of dark mode. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Do me a favour. If and when you ever get told there is a fire out of control in your area heading your way, drop the hose, gather the family and pets, grab the 5 most important items you have identified as things you cannot lose, and drive somewhere safe.

2 Likes

Fixed. Leo has so much stuff, you don’t want him spending precious seconds figuring out whether he should take things like the trashcan Mac with him or not. :crazy_face:

1 Like

No argument from me. But Lisa probably has that one picture on the nightstand she just cannot lose, and Leo will never hear the end of it if he leaves it behind.

1 Like

i feel you on this one. Such an incredible story you shared. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m the same. I use dark mode generally (although on this PC, I don’t currently have it turned on in my browser, funilly enough). but I use dark mode where possible.

My eyes seem sensitive to light - I hate working with artificial lighting (I can’t even watch TV for more than an hour or so if there is a light on in the room, which annoys the hell out of my wife), it gives me a headache or I get a tick in left eye. Dark mode helps keep the general ambient light level down, which I find soothing.

I love this Light Mode vs. Dark Mode talk. I have a co-worker that has prescription sunglasses because of light sensitivity. He told me his least favorite part of the day is opening Outlook, because we don’t have the option to change the theme at work. Maybe @JeffJarvis wouldn’t hate Dark Mode as much if he looked at it as an β€œAccessibility” option. Just a thought.

2 Likes

And I hate when Jeff talks about Europe, especially Germany, and goes off on a rant about The Right to be Forgotten, Leistungsrechtschutz (which was declared illegal by the EU supreme court last week) or GDPR or the German attitude to surveillance. None of it matches to what I have read in the actual laws (I worked as a Data Protection Officer in my previous job) or the day-to-day life in Germany.

It makes me mad at times - and I actually stopped listening to the show for a while, back in 2016, because he was making me so mad. But I have calmed down, I did correspond with Jeff for a while on Right to be Forgotten, but I still don’t think he understands exactly how it is supposed to work - not helped by the FUD Google spread when it was introduced and their determined way of misinterpreting the law and how it is supposed to be enforced, which seemed to have coloured his views about it, and Europe.

But, at the end of the day, that is his opinion and I agree to disagree with his interpretation. It just isn’t worth getting in a twist about. And, to be honest, all the US political talk seems to be fairly well balanced and certainly only comes up in relation to tech topics.

1 Like

sometimes i want some RX sunglasses to wear FULL TIME. Ha!

1 Like

3 Likes

i thought he was a TV Week journo ? No ? :rofl:

1 Like

In 2017 when the fires got to a few miles away we packed go bags. Honestly, if I get all the living things out I couldn’t care less about anything else. All my most important data, including a lifetime of photos, are in the cloud anyway.

3 Likes

Back in the early days of screen based word processors (not bit mapped devices), Xerox had a device that displayed black on white on the screen. Every competitor that offered white on black, green on black or orange on black displays had a β€œstudy” that showed why there’s was the best. I suspect Xerox did too. But the bottom line is - you can find a study that supports any viewpoint you have (coffee is good, coffee is bad, dark chocolate is good, red wine in good, alcohol is bad, etc.).

1 Like