This Week in Google (Wednesdays) General Discussion

Post your TECHNOPANIC rants here. And news about Google, when appropriate.

8 Likes

So I signed up, was I meant to ? this is an interesting development. I have been watching Twitch since around 2005…

3 Likes

This a great show with people that think of many sides of tech philosophy and sociology. Other shows bring up the topics but are so shallow about it. I love this show.

3 Likes

Published today:

2 Likes

Hey Twiggies. I’m here, too. In light mode.

26 Likes

Oh snap, it’s the Leonard Tow professor of journalistic innovation at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York (CUNY)! Here in the (virtual) flesh!!!

Love that so many of the hosts are on here. :slightly_smiling_face:

People always complain about this show’s name - to be fair, it probably would be more accurate to call it “This Week in Tech Journalism”, but that doesn’t have the same ring - but whatever you call it, it’s the best regular discussion of the tech industry (with some emphasis on Google) and the tech press/media.

4 Likes

This week in tech journalism, IOT, social… yeah, that might not even fit on the screen. :laughing:

1 Like

Aka in the flesh! :rofl:

2 Likes

This week in Technopanic! :wink:

4 Likes

Really appreciated everyone’s points on Dark Mode and Light Mode. Can’t say I disagreed with any of them, to be honest. I do think Dark Mode is easier on my eyes, particularly when I’ve been looking at screen all day. I know our eyes adjust, but if I choose Dark Mode or Light Mode, I want a consistent experience (OS based and app based), or it comes as a bit of shock as my eyes adjust. I know some hosts on the network have expressed their appreciation of Dark Mode because Light Mode seems to light up their faces more.

2 Likes

Light mode can make it easier to read text, but that doesn’t mean it’s better for everyone. Yes, people with astigmatism may benefit from white backgrounds, but for people who are sensitive to light and/or have glare as a migraine trigger (including me on both counts, though I rarely get migraines anymore) bright white is not a friend. I wore tinted prescription glasses until recently even indoors and at night, but have since switched to transitions lenses as my sensitivity isn’t as bad as it used to be.

I also have Sjogren’s (mostly well managed) and my eyes are always dry to one degree or another. Last thing I want when my eyes are dry and inflamed and it becomes hard to focus is bright light. There might be tradeoff with text readability versus light backgrounds, I’ll grant you that, but it’s mitigated for me by higher text scaling on windows and zooming things more on mobile.

Also I work nights, and I do minimize screen time before bed, but when I do have to use my phone I like to have light auto shift to less blue light as well as use darker themes on devices, as I feel I am more sensitive to light screwing up my sleep patterns.

Articles are full of confirmation bias. You can always find a study to justify whatever position you are on, but for me night mode is mostly a plus. Also I just prefer the aesthetic. :stuck_out_tongue: Dark mode haters feel free to hate and use whatever you want. Been dark moding all the things I could for more than a decade, and not gonna stop now.

Warm chocolatey cake with coffee now, please. :yum:

2 Likes

Dark mode is much easier on my eyes, but besides that, I just like it. :relaxed: I have it set to always on on all my devices that have it available.

1 Like

I just tried dark mode for the first time - but spent most of the time panicking over whether I knew how to turn it off! It’s quite disconcerting at first and I was worried I was going to be stuck with it.
Now I know how to turn it on and off, I’ll give it a try in different lights, see what I think. Might be handy for reading in bed…

1 Like

I’m in Night mode too. I prefer it as I get tired eyes from having MS. Dim the lights! :wink:

KR, Catie L

2 Likes

Awesome! Welcome Jeff… Thanks for being a rock star!

2 Likes

I prefer Dark Mode because it matches my soul.

5 Likes

We don’t know you so well Karsten because you’re not actually in front of the camera, but I have a hard time believing you’re a dark and brooding type. You certainly don’t project that way across the mic.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,

I love TWIG. Your opinions on things tech are great. It also helps that you’re likeable. However, I would respectfully ask that you restrain your anti-Trump bias unless it directly relates to the tech topic being discussed. You are entitled to your opinion on our president but I don’t listen to TWIG to hear it. Please take this in the spirit in which it was sent- constructive criticism.

Doogie

1 Like

Not an American, so I don’t “do” American politics, but I think everyone in the world knows that the American President is a freaking idiot, and I don’t see how you can expect any intelligent person to abide idiocy in total silence. I think a majority of the listeners think that the current American government is interfering in tech in all the wrong ways (looking at you Ajit Pai) and I think that interference is a relevant topic for the show.

Unless you’re looking for confirmation bias, you shouldn’t complain when others don’t have your point of view on tech or on politics.

4 Likes

This thread will go downhill fast if people start talking politics. Stacey mode on

5 Likes