This Week in Google (Wednesdays) General Discussion

Agreed… and it will get moderated too, so let’s not talk politics. But neither can I abide someone saying “please shut up because I disagree with you.”

2 Likes

And I thought I asked nicely.

1 Like

I don’t think you should have asked at all, nicely or not. This is not the place. Send Leo or Lisa a PM if you need to vent… if they hear from enough people who feel as you do, they’ll get the message…

1 Like

I used to sit next to him in my office.

dark. BROODING. T.E.R.R.I.F.Y.I.N.G.

4 Likes

tumblr_pp23magI8f1rz6w0do3_500

1 Like

I enjoyed the dark mode conversation to lead the show. I enjoy both modes depending upon the circumstance.

1 Like

Yay, another dark mode hater in the forums.

I’ve only been listening to TWIG for a few months, but I find myself looking forward to this show the most. Yes, there is lots of talk about hardware & various Google products, but there is a lot of esoteric talk about the philosophy behind what is happening in tech, and how it impacts on society. Obviously, I enjoy Leo, and I have really enjoyed Stacey and Jeff. I remember reading Jeff’s work in TV guide.

I would be interested in hearing a show about (and you have probably covered this) using Google, despite all the talk on every show on TWIT about privacy. I use lots of Google products, but try to stick with Apple as much as possible. But despite the privacy talk, lots of tech savvy people seem to drop put aside their skepticism when it comes to Google products and now, even hardware.

Thanks for the fun and educational show every week!

3 Likes

Is there a new episode this week? Nothing has come up in my pod catcher (PocketCasts).

https://www.twit.community/t/update-power-is-back-we-resume-our-shows-at-10-30a-pacific-tomorrow/1243/128

2 Likes

I was re-watching Inherit the Wind and thought it had many points that could be applied to Net Neutrality/Tehcno panic. I thought the following speech by Spencer Tracey was especially appropriate:

3 Likes

Can someone do a deep fake of Jeff’s face onto Gandalf from this scene in LOTR:

2 Likes

Yes. Was planning to do Flo-Nadja (What We Do in the Shadows) swap, but maybe I’ll do this first. Good idea. :smiley:

1 Like

Great to see you back on air today! :wink::+1::tv:

2 Likes

TWiG is my favorite too, together with TWiT, because it’s not too focused on hardware, but more on the intangible aspects of tech.

4 Likes

I enjoy your contributions to the show .You Roz to Leo’s Frasier. Were you okay though on this week’s show? You seemed bit off your game. Wondered if you didn’t do an all nighter editing the previous day’s recordings.

I tend to run Dark Mode apps on my phone, not because I have an OLED display and want to save battery (I don’t) but because I see a lot of movies in the theater, and will often be reading an eBook during the “pre-show” material (never the trailers or the actual movie.) I’ll have the book reader using a dark theme, but it will be useful to have the whole OS in dark mode (hurry up with Android 10 Moto!)

One thing nobody has mentioned is that dark mode is pretty much universal in professional graphics apps, and pros consider it easier and more accurate when editing images with the OS elements less bright.

2 Likes

October is a difficult month for me. I was up 'til the wee hours the night before working on the Haunted House that I build every year for my son’s high school.

3 Likes

Great point! Never actually thought about it, but thinking about the Adobe suite, Davinci Resolve, and other graphics apps, and most are (mercifully) dark grey.