Star Trek: Picard

There’s a behind the scenes show called The Ready Room hosted by Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher from TNG) available on a few locations. I can only find it on Facebook Watch here in Australia. Quite interesting interviews with clips from the next episode of Picard.

3 Likes

I like the 1st episode, seems kinda interesting, the 2nd episode not so much. It’s a bit like grandpa looking for missing grand daughter. In TNG, Picard is a strong character, here, it’s like he’s on his last leg, vulnerable, and tired.
The other central character, she a bit too cheerful and too much coupling scenes for my liking. I guess I am just looking for a bit more trekkie stuff, 2nd episode seems to have a lot of fluff, the dialogs felt a bit wanting.

Hope it gets better. :crossed_fingers::vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I do have to wonder about the intro sequence. At the very start it looks like a piece of a hologrid falling? I am worried this whole thing will at some time be revealed to be another example of the Picard in his own head sequence like ST:TNG episode “Inner Light”.

3 Likes

I just watched the 2nd episode today at someone’s house. I dis not think the 2nd episode was as good as the 1st show.

And, it still does not hold a candle to the original TNG.

2 Likes

It’s a very different show to TNG where everything was largely episodic with each episode (or two) telling a story. The whole season of Picard tells one story so needs to be taken as a whole. I am thoroughly enjoying it so far - yes episode 2 was a bit more plodding, but it is early in in the story. The humour is a lot more subtle and there are a lot of references to the TNG era of shows.

3 Likes

I have to admit that one of the things I liked about many of the “early” Star Trek series is that the story was not told as a serial (or as a soap opera if you will.) One episode did not lead directly into another, and you could skip one or see them out of order and it wouldn’t leave you wondering what you missed. With Discovery and now again with Picard they are going for a more serialized storytelling. The risk is that the entire story line can fail to pull you in and you skip the whole series, whereas when each episode (or maybe two) is a self-contained story, you could have a bad episode or two here or there and not feel the whole series wasn’t appealing to you.

3 Likes

I think it’s okay if it is designed as a large arc and not try to be episodic too. Enterprise fell flat with the Xindi arc - each episode was fairly standalone with the arc held together by a very slim plot device. That didn’t work very well in my opinion, and probably turned some viewers off to whole series. That was unfortunate as Enterprise, as a whole, improved a lot after that arc was over.

2 Likes

I liked Enterprise a lot, but I know that some complained about that

1 Like

I liked Enterprise too, but the bit the Xindi arc. It went on too long and didn’t have a good conclusion. Still not as bad as the very final episode of Enterprise, which was a kick in the gonads for fans.

2 Likes

I rewatched the entire series last summer, in fact. Yes, the last episode sucked

1 Like

I was a hair’s breadth away from subscribing to CBS, as much as I don’t want to, but I love the Picard character so much. We watched the first episode on Youtube last night, and I had this warm fuzzy feeling during the show. Picard’s face has so much character now. I just looked it up on Amazon Prime and the first two episodes are there! I am doing a happy dance.

2 Likes

Truthfully, I like the multiple storyline idea; however, I really enjoy the Russel Davies method from Who where there’d be an undercurrent of something else going on that only really ever pulls together during later episodes in the series - kind of like that “oh” moment. It makes me want to go back and watch the last episodes again.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s released on prime every Friday.

1 Like

Speaking of Dr Who, the last episode was atrocious (the one with the astronaut)…

2 Likes

I know the stories are getting way too hookey but the women playing the doctor is just so darn cute… wait what not a good reason to like a show?!! oh sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.

1 Like

I’ve seen the first two episodes, and I’m going to watch the third tonight. I think the series has been outstanding so far. Picard has been my favorite Star Trek character for many years, so this is very exciting for me.

Before the first episode, I was concerned that it might not be great. I’m kinda disappointed by Discovery, and I know that some of the same people are involved in Star Trek: Picard. I’m so glad that my concerns were unfounded!

:vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the Xindi arc, except the “twist” at the very end where they went back to WW2. And, yeah, the series finale was a giant kick to the nads.

1 Like

It’s on YouTube in the US. Not sure if it’s accessible in Australia.

1 Like

I can’t find The Ready Room at all on YouTube, but us on Facebook. I watch in my Fire Stick using the Facebook Watch app.

1 Like