SN 929: Operation Triangulation

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Sorry, but Steve made a bit of a howler with the Duck Duck Go browser. It uses the Blink rendering engine, which he correctly noted, but, because it uses the Windows WebView web page rendering framework, he wrongly assumed it used the rendering engine from Internet Explorer.

When Microsoft moved to Chromium based Edge, they also updated the rendering engine embedded in the operating system to use Google’s Blink, so DDG Browser also uses the same Chromium engine as Edge, Chrome, Brave and all other Chromium based browsers on Windows.

The only drawback is that Microsoft are slow to update Edge with the latest security patches in Chromium - when there is a Chromium zero-day, they generally release the patches 2-3 days after Google and most of the rest of the Chromium browsers. There is also the question of whether WebView is tied to the OS update schedule or whether it is updated with the Edge browser. Theoretically, it doesn’t make sense to have 2 versions, but Apple did/does exactly this with their web viewer for apps on iOS, for a long time, it was running on an older version of the WebKit engine than Safari itself, which seems counter intuitive and counter productive.

Regarding the BG study into the power light fluctuations, what I found fascinating last week was that they got it from a Samsung Galaxy phone (an older S8, I believe). I thought, “hah! The Galaxy doesn’t have a power light!” Then Steve read the story and, whilst the phone doesn’t the charger it was plugged into did have a power LED, so, even though the LED is showing the charger is powered on and the phone is charging the battery, it is fluctuating the power delivery enough over and above this with its cryptography routines, that the camera can still pick up fluctations in the LED intensity. That is wild.

2 Likes

Just to let you know @big_D that I posted a link to your post above on the GRC SN newsgroup to aid Steve to actually know about your post.

1 Like

Thanks. I DMed him on Twitter as well.

The US military members shown in the pictures are required to wear a uniform when they are on base. They are definitely on a military base (Probably Ft. Meade). BDU’s are I think the minimum uniform allowed.

Yeah Paul Thurrott caught that as well. I’m sure Steve will correct himself on the next show, July 11!

1 Like