Recommending Zoom or not

https://www.databreaches.net/zoom-banned-from-new-york-city-schools-due-to-privacy-and-security-flaws/

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2020/04/security_and_pr_1.html

Zoom just can’t seem to get a break. The Zoom-bombing is, as far as I know, down to user error in setting up the meetings, but it is still a big problem and that it is so easy to misconfigure a Zoom meeting doesn’t really speak for it.

The rest is just a non-stop series of security and privacy reasons never to touch it… I wonder if their reputation is already too damaged?

If you built a car that required users to do a procedure every time they started the car in order for the safety belts to work if needed, would you call that a problem with the user or a problem with the car?

That is essentially what I said. The system is so poorly designed that users seem to often make the meeting unsecure. Of course that is a problem with the program.

I used Zoom for the first time on Friday with 42 people I think of like Family. It was with my Burn Camp organization. It was used as a virtual campfire as due to the current global pandemic they have cancelled or at least postponed our normal summer camp that meets at the end of May every year. I quite enjoyed it. Two of the counselors at the camp are firefighters who happened to be on shift, one got a call and we got to ride along until they cancelled the run which was fun. After the virtual show hosted by the camp was complete, we all had a chance to share how the camp had touched us or had made a difference in our life at camp. To me this was an excellent use of the technology.

2 Likes

How does Zoom make their money? I bet somthing has to pay for all the server use and bandwidth they’ve seen spike over the past month.

There are paid tiers (host has to pay) that enables more people in the conference etc. the free tier is only really good for one to one. More participants than that then there’s a forty minute limit.

1 Like

:rofl:

2 Likes

They just can’t seem to get a break at the moment.

I’m sticking with my previous advice, leave it alone and see what it is like after their 90 days of triage.

Guess what ?

How maddening was it with 42 people in there? Was there a traffic director?

Essentially yes. There was a schedule for the first half of who was to speak and when. Then they asked that we raise our hands either in frame or using the feature then once it was our turn to speak we were unmuted.

One thing about Zoom is that it is easy to use. My company uses Teams internally and GoToMeeting when we need it.
Unfortunately, Zoom is finding themselves in environments I don’t think they ever expected to be in. Because of virus restrictions, we had to use Zoom today to attend my grandfather’s funeral. It was easy for my stepmother who was there to join the meeting my brother setup and for myself and my cousins to join. While I guess it was better than not seeing it at all, it wasn’t the same.

A good move by Zoom for trustability, but still comes with a caveat some may not like.

And a bonus related story for a good laugh

1 Like

That Register article is great and the comments section is well worth reading. To be fair, there may be an element of pragmatism behind that ritual. When you’ve got to implement a really quick solution, and there’s no guarantee all the judges are going to be technically savvy enough to be certain the audio/video feed will always be off during deliberations, it makes sense to put the whole process in the hands of the Clerk and make sure the tech is right out the courtroom at moments when it could create a miscarriage of justice. Everything else is window-dressing, which is our speciality…