Question of the day- What’s your pet peeve(s)?

People that are late… :angry: If your not first your last :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

When @JasonHowell says “anyways.” Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy him as a host, but it always bothers me when he says that, or anyone for that matter, but as a host, he should know better.
It’s just “anyway,” no s at the end.

2 Likes

I personally hate, hate hate: “My Bad”

And, I do not like a cashier or waitress calling me “honey” or “sweetie”

I love Jason, but I’ve noticed the same thing, haha. Also, every time he ends a sentence with “Absolutely”…it would make a great drinking game. (Sorry Jason!)

1 Like

Since language habits seem to be the hot topic, I have one that drives me nuts…my truth, as in “I just have to speak my truth.” (Usually said in a defensive, self-righteous, or entitled tone, like someone’s trying to stop you from speaking when in fact no one really cares one way or the other.) Just tell the truth for God’s sake and shut up about it. You’re not testifying in front of a human rights tribunal.

At least in the USA we now live in a time of “alternative facts”, so truth seems relative.

1 Like

Good point…the folks I’m talking about aren’t the alternative facts type (more the new age variety), but I get what you mean.

Since it seems that grammar is overtaking this topic: It really bothers me when someone says, ‘like’ when they mean ‘as if’.

You might find this article by John McWhorter interesting- https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/11/the-evolution-of-like/507614/
He’s even got a book titled “Words on the Move: Why English Won’t - and Can’t - Sit Still (Like, Literally)”

2 Likes

I dislike the phrase “No problem” in the reply to a question. To me it suggests the person is saying I have a problem with your request but I will do you a favor and choose to not let it be a problem.

3 Likes

People who are chronically late.

And doctors who make you wait forever.

I got things to do, you know.

2 Likes

That is a REALLY hard habit for me to break. Believe me, I try. But its so deeply ingrained in my brain, apparently. I’ll keep trying!

2 Likes

Huh. I’m having a hard time jogging my memory on my usage of Absolutely in the way that you are describing. Apparently I do it often!

3 Likes

I actually worded my observation incorrectly, so my apologies! You don’t end your own sentences with “absolutely”…it’s at the end of the sentences of those you’re interviewing, as a way to show agreement and quickly move on to the next topic. I first noticed it during a couple of your Triangulation interviews. There’s nothing wrong with it, per se, but as I’m sure you’re aware, when something is recorded/broadcast, repetition or other verbal ticks seem to jump out for some reason, in a way they don’t in ordinary conversation.

All that being said, I think you do a great job, Jason…I “absolutely” love your work on both Triangulation and Tech News Weekly. You and Mikah make such a great team!

3 Likes