Pixel tablet got a bad rap from Leo

I could not resist acquiring the tablet for $250, 400- a lot of store credit. I was surprised to hear Leo say that his display did not show the pics and went dark, mine never does. Additionally, he said he always had to put in his PIN code before it would respond to a get Google command. Mine just responds all the time. No code necessary. I replaced my max and gave that to a friend, and the pixel tablet is working just fine for me. It is a comfortable feel and weight. Side by side apps is great . Iā€™ve only had it for a few weeks but so far and I am very happy with it. I would suggest you check your hub settings as that may be the issue.

1 Like

See, for $250 itā€™s a steal. But I couldnā€™t justify $400 for it. I canā€™t speak for the issues Leo had with it, and they do sound like transient software issues, however the hardware teardowns Iā€™ve seen leave much to be desired. I also hear the custom SoC they have in it is somewhat underpowered. Iā€™d pay $250 to find out on my own but not $400.

Yeah $250 may be worth a look. I personally couldnā€™t see $400 on one. Thx for being here.

1 Like

Yeah if you turn off all security on the tablet it wonā€™t prompt you for a pin. In order for you to use it like a Nest Hub you have to turn off the things that make it a tablet.

In other words, just buy a Nest Hub Max. If you want an Android Tablet, god help you.

3 Likes

When mine is docked it shows pictures 24/7. It will respond to my hey Google command just like the max did. As soon as I pull it off the dock I need to unlock it with a pin or my fingerprint. It is a tablet at that point of time, it is a hub when itā€™s on the dock for me. It works perfectly for me

Some of the design choices they made are weird, especially when it comes to the speaker dock. The fact that it isnā€™t just a regular standalone smart speaker when the tablet isnā€™t docked is weird. Thereā€™s also the issue of Google killing almost every new productā€¦

This. SO MUCH this. Google has trained us well. Unless youā€™re buying a phone, and even Pixels arenā€™t long for this world, buying into Google hw & sw means buying into a dead end ecosystem/product line. I got burned by Googleā€™s 1st abandonment of tablets with the Nexus 7. I got burned by Googleā€™s abandonment of Game Development and Gaming Consolesā€¦ although I did get my money back. I got burned by Googleā€™s on-again/off-again and apparently now, ā€˜on-againā€™ passing interest in smartwatches. Google lost interest in providing meaningful support of Android Wear so quickly & so absolutely that Samsung needed to fork the OS just to continue product innovation & maintain core OS support. Now Google is ā€œbackā€ in the tablet market & the smartwatch game, but you can ALREADY SEE the writing on the wall after the massive commercial flops of Pixel Tablet and Pixel Watch 2. Zero buzz. Zero public interest in Googleā€™s products cause everyone knows those product lines are already on the chopping block. If we see a Pixel Watch 3, itā€™ll have even fewer innovations than Pixel Watch 2, which itself was simply a FIXED/PROPERed redux of Pixel Watch 1 - now using current gen hardware. And that will be end of that.

1 Like