Pixel 4XL Qi Charging not working

My Pixel 4 XL has recently stopped charging wirelessly. I’ve done the tricks where if you press the screen it might pick up, but it doesn’t stay. I don’t see any evidence of battery swell.
I bought the extended warranty on it. Is it worth the money to replace the phone, versus just using the cable? I really liked the wireless charging, and its really annoying me. Unless anyone has any other thoughts to check?

1 Like

Hmm, more research turns this up:
Pixel March update hurts wireless charging for some users - 9to5Google

Guess I’ll hold off on the insurance claim.

1 Like

Yeah, my 4 XL has had pretty sporadic wireless charging lately, both on the Pixel stand and a 3rd party charger.

I’ll see it sometimes connect and start charging for a few seconds then it disconnects. Sometimes I’ll get the “realign your phone” message, sometimes it never works, etc. It is really all over the map on this issue.

1 Like

This is exactly the behavior I am seeing. I have both a Pixel stand and a third party.
I’ll wait until after the April updates. At this point, I just plug it in. Really annoying since I much prefer the convenience of Qi. My wife’s Pixel is fine, though I’m not sure if she applied updates.

Well, April updates don’t appear to have resolved this.
I guess next thing to try is a factory reset.

1 Like

The non-wireless charging is starting to annoy me. Assuming it to be a hardware issue at this point (even when powered off, it doesn’t wirelessly charge) I’m wondering what would be better, the insurance payment of $150 to get a replacement, or just trade it in for a Pixel 5?

Yeah, the April update did nothing to fix this on my 4 XL either. I doubt it is strictly a hardware issue, since it seems to affect quite a few Pixel devices and it appears to have started this year. I haven’t done a ton of trolling through the official support forums to see if it is a known issue that is currently being tracked (I probably should at some point).

It certainly is annoying, especially how inconsistent it is.

1 Like

At this point, it just plain doesn’t work for me.

Well, I factory reset my phone. That didn’t help either…

1 Like

Update:
I started getting new and wonderful issues with my Pixel XL battery (random shut offs, battery stuck at 50%, battery showing as “unknown”, etc.) in addition to the previously mentioned wireless charging issue. This all started happening within the last 6 days or so.

So, I opened a case with Google (even though my warranty was 6 months past the one year mark). I figured maybe I could get a discount on refurbished unit or something. After a bunch of the normal troubleshooting steps, the rep said that for battery issues of this type, Google has added an additional year to the Pixel warranty. Nice.

I took it in to a local UBreakIFix shop, and in about 4 hours I have a brand new battery installed at no cost. So far all of the battery issues I’ve had are gone, and it appears to be charging wirelessly (at least better than it did before). I’m still going to test it thoroughly over the next few days just to make sure.

The tech at the shop has seen a couple of these in the past 6 months or so, and even showed my how the battery had slightly expanded a tiny bit and started to raise the glass back of the phone.

I would say it is worth a shot to get a case going with Google and you might be able to get your phone fixed for free.

3 Likes

Useful to know, thanks. Wife’s 4 XL has started getting the ‘realign the phone’ messages when charging wirelessly.

1 Like

Hmm, worth a shot. But so far my only issue is the wireless charging not working. I’m almost at the point of trading it in for a Pixel 5.

1 Like

Some of the theories for the charging issue that I’ve seen say that due to a software issue, some Pixels start killing the battery at an abnormal rate (maybe overcharging it). This causes the battery to expand, thus potentially disturbing some physical connections to the battery.

I’d take a very critical look at the back glass of the phone to see if you notice any bulges or edges of the glass starting to lift. Swelling batteries can be dangerous. I never noticed mine because it is always in a case.

https://ifixelectronics.com.au/pixel-4-xl-design-flaw-explained/

Contact Google here if you want to try starting a case with them - https://support.google.com/pixelphone/gethelp?issue_description=contact+google

2 Likes

I’ve looked at my phone for swelling, first thing I found that I should look at, but not seeing anything.

I’m torn on what to do. I suppose it’s worth trying to do a support case, worse they tell me is nothing that can be done. I’ve considered an insurance claim, but that will cost me $150 for a replacement. Or I can get a Pixel 5 for $699, but get $335 back from Fi for trading in the 4XL.

Other than the wireless charging, there’s nothing wrong with the 4XL. It’s just annoying.

Edit: I just pulled the case off and am seeing some swelling and the back coming off.

Well, after working with support, they are sending me a new device.

3 Likes