NEWS 397: Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit 2023

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I had a repairman in the house while this was on, so didn’t see much of it, but the little bit I overheard/saw was very unpolished and the product is not available until mid 2024, so it seems like it was mostly a waste of time marketing BS event. Let me know when there is a product someone can purchase and real hardware nerds can publish reviews and benchmarks.

2 Likes

That’s really disappointing. Qualcomm needs to get it together before someone eats their lunch.

1 Like

I like the sound bite at 39:53: Cristiano Amon [Qualcomm CEO] tells ex-Apple chip development head Gerard Williams:

We are completely humbled by what you guys have delivered.

That is a strange word choice. Maybe Amom was partially humbled, but I don’t have the sense he walks around with a sense of humility at all.

1 Like

The proof will be in the pudding - in six months. Qualcom has overpromised and underdelivered in the past.

The most interesting bit for me was the debut of Panos Panay’s underwhelming replacement, whats-his-name.

3 Likes

I just listened to this as a downloaded audio podcast - every time there was a pause for “a word from our sponsors” there was just five or six seconds of silence before coverage resumed. Shurely shome mishtake?

Or something caused by dynamic ad insertion.

1 Like

Add to that that Qualcomm are forcing customers to use their PMICs with the X Elite, which are expensive, which are designed to deliver power to mobile chips, not laptop chips, which means that you need between 4 and 6 of them, instead of a single, normal, cheap off the shelf PMIC, which could cope with the power, the PMICs use a .6mm layout like a high end smartphone motherboard, which is more expensive, but it isn’t designed to cope with the power throughput of the chip or multiple PMICs, so you need to add additional layers to up the cost even more…

It is no wonder that the manufacturers baulked at it. They have to use 4-6 expensive PMICs, instead of a single, cheap one and Qualcomm wouldn’t even let them buy the PMICs and bin them and use a cheap one instead, so they agreed to subsidise the manufacturers - for more than the cost of the PMICS, so that they take the PMICs and the processor… And that also means that the boards are less energy efficient, as they have multiple PMICs and more lanes on the motherboard to power.

It all seems somewhat insane to me!

3 Likes

They have a short Window (sorry couldn’t avoid the pun) to get things happy… or else they’re likely to be irrelevant with AMD and Nvidia planning to go there too.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems to be very much an own-goal.

1 Like

Agreed - and it might be because I’m in the UK, and external ad insertions are often tailored by locality. I just thought @Leo might have an interest if ad slots weren’t being filled for some podcast listeners.