Music Wars anyone?

While going through my DVD-R collection to see what I should put on my Plex Media Server, I came across my recordings of Music Wars parts 1 thru 3. Have to add them to my PMS for easy watching and revisiting old memories.

Also found I had recorded the last Screen Savers episode recorded in San Francisco. Watching it again actually brought tears to my eyes. TSS was a great show. Have to sit down and rewatch the Best of episodes I’ve recorded.

Leo, thank you for being a part of so much entertaining technical information over the years.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re referring to, and my Google Fu came up mostly empty, with only this: Urgh! A Music War (1981) - IMDb
That doesn’t seem right because you mention parts, and that appears to be a single movie.

Try searching for TechTV Music Wars. I may have recorded it in 3 parts off of TechTV. It included interviews with musicians, downloaders, RIAA representatives, and the founder of Kazaa.

Aha. How about this? TechTV Music Wars : TechTV : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

1 Like

That’s the show. Broadcast Sept 12, 2003. Now I am feeling ancient.

2 Likes

Good stuff and thanks for sharing. “The RIAA declined to attend”. :roll_eyes:

That was a lot of fun. I’d completely forgotten about those!

I started listening to Leo’s Netcast about 2006. Music wars had pretty well decided by them. Steve Jobs was declared the winner. Leo also informed that recording off the air was perfectly legal. The RIAA had been OK with this because the recordings were very crappy at best. I began building my library at that point. But as you know Audicity and Computers made this process very good.
Then Apple decided to remove the headphone jack making this process much more difficult. It has always been my belief that Steve Jobs assured the RIAA that the headphone jack would be removed. Years later it was, except for the Android holdouts. If it did go down that way, Steve must have had a hearty laugh that RIAA swallowed that malarkey.