MoCA "Personal" stories

I was researching MoCA as a possible solution for wired internet connection since my house has existing cable jacks. I just found Leo’s surface level overview of Wired connection alternatives for someone in officework.
(Improve Your Home Network With MoCA & Powerline Network Adapters - YouTube)

I just wanted to survey the TWiT Community and gather some anecdotal evidence of this technology working. MoCA 2.5 looks a lot more promising compared to what it was featured in the past. I would totally think that MoCA would be rising in popularity with the increase in WFH cases.

It’s improving but the community is right, it’s not the most popular solution.

It does have several benefits: It is supported by a number of cable companies, not necessarily limited by factors such as distance or noise ratio, bondable protocols are supported and it requires very little support from your cable provider although they may supply a MoCA compliant modem and plant filter to support MoCA 2.5.

In my case, my cable provider (Rogers Communications) does supply MoCA compliant cable modems and the plant facilities have been tuned to support MoCA signals in the home and supported by basic technical support. This is especially important as the MoCA spec is being updated for the future where interoperability is important. Good question if this requires the involvement of all cable providers.

Adoption is still a barrier and I would still say based on market data, manufacturers are the key to drive that adoption. Right now there are 3-6 companies globally making chipsets and products for MoCA, in North America there are only about 3 or 4 with the same price points. It is not always stocked at the retail level and I suspect this may become a challenge if manufacturers change their lineup or drop MoCA altogether.

I can go by own experience but I am still adopting MoCA 1.1 standards in my home over a 100 Mbps bridge to my living room. This has worked since day 1 and does not require constant adjustments or signal drops from MoCA or from outages with my cable provider. It does work better than Wi-Fi in all cases and with an Ethernet switch I will be able to wire in any device I may need in the future including VoIP phones. I can even do things such as setting QoS tagging from my router or assign VLANs to devices behind the MoCA bridge, it all works just like devices wired in to my home office on an Ethernet cable.

I was early with this technology and used Netgear when they still adopted MoCA but it required quite a few firmware updates and nearly required a new filter and splitter when MoCA wanted to add new features (this was later revised and added to MoCA 2.0 instead).

There is a regular in the chatroom who swears by MoCA. At some point, I’m considering adding it to my house. My FIOS connection is in the basement. At some point, I’m going to need to have the router down there versus in my office, so I plan to put an extender in my office. I prefer to have as much hardwired as possible.

There are two different scenarios which need to be considered. (1) Using disused coax for MoCA and (2) trying to use it in parallel with other signals. If the wires have no competing signals on them, then they should work fine with MoCA if you have the necessary gear and are just trying to bridge two (or more) locations that don’t have easy means to install Ethernet (CAT 5/6) twisted pair. On the other hand, if you are using the coax for cable TV signals already, then you need to make sure your gear will co-exist with your existing cable network signals.

1 Like

There may be a third: What if your entire house is wired for satellite? MoCA is not recommended for this scenario either.