Logged in with SQRL

I have no idea @sawgrass… I am not a fan of Apple’s closed ecosystem and thus an Android user. I have an aging iPad 3 that is stuck on iOS 10 and is no longer supported, so I really can’t even try it.

What I can say is that you appear to have two user accounts here. @sawgrass and @SawgrassGeek. I suspect you created a second one while playing with SQRL? This is probably part of your difficulties.

In any case, if you click on your avatar icon in the top right, and then click on your user ID in the top left of the resulting popup, this will take you to your summary page. On that page along the top navigation bar, click Preferences. Account is the first option and should already be selected. A bit down the page you will find the option for two factor, which you must disable to use SQRL, and then the option to manage associated accounts is right below it.

Email
PHolder...@...com

Password
Send Password Reset Email

Two Factor Authentication
Protect your account with one-time use security codes.

Manage Two Factor Authentication
Associated Accounts
OAuth 2 	PHolder...@...com 	

As I have already done this, I don’t have the info to tell you precisely how to do it, but as I recall it was as simple as clicking the SQRL button and then logging in with the SQRL client.

Assuming you have all that done correctly, you should be able to logout and try to login with SQRL by any supported means and it should work. (All I can really say, unfortunately, is that it works for me.)

1 Like

@PHolder and @josecgomez I am now able to login to twit.community using only my iphone, Safari, and SQRL ID. Took some “fiddling” and honestly don’t think I could explain how I did, to anyone else. What I do know is, nothing seemed intuitive.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve got my SQRL login working.

2 Likes

I just used the SQRL login for twit as well and I had a somewhat smoother experience than yours but I do agree, it’s really not an intuitive experience. There’s a long way to go yet to get this into mainstream but the bones are there so hopefully gets taken up and smoothed out along the way.
:smile:

2 Likes

The signup/login flow would be more ideal if SQRL support were built directly into Discourse, but this OAuth step is a good beginning for now… as in better than having nothing at all.

1 Like

Definitely: the UI experience with SQRL properly embedded on Wordpress (as on my blog) is much better than bouncing through an oAuth kludge.

1 Like

I could not get the SQRL login to work at all. It sends me to the Brave SQRL extension which requests my SQRL password and then rejects it. What’s the point when I can simply use my password manager to supply the credentials for the TwiT site directly?
I have many years experience as a programmer and IT manager on all types of technology and businesses yet I find SQRL (and its documentation) to be utterly baffling. I managed to get it to work on GRC.com once but it’s never worked since. Some step-by-step guidance would be appreciated!

1 Like

@russell1066 I have a similar pedigree and find SQRL humbling to the point of being embarrassed to ask for help. On the other hand, if it causes guys like us to stumble, how will the general public ever adopt its use.

Totally agree, Sawgrass.

I did receive useful help when I tried to install the iOS SQRL app a couple of months ago. The developer sent me detailed instructions and I have it on my iPhone. However, I have no idea how or where to use it.

Steve Gibson is undoubtedly brilliant and is very good at speaking to both lay and expert audiences. The essential idea of SQRL is laudable but without a foolproof and self-evident user interface it will not succeed.

If you aren’t able to use your password, and you were using the browser extension, then mostly likely you have lost its data in some way. Being tied to the browser while not being built in, means the data storage is at risk to being cleared the same way cookies get cleared. For now, until browsers build it in, you would be much better off using a dedicated client, IMHO. Steve’s Windows client is lacking some user friendliness, but it has never lost its data even once, and is easy to backup by just copying out the data it is storing in “My Documents”.

To be honest, I think most of the people complaining about it not being easiest to use are Apple people. That makes sense because they have different expectations on user experience that Steve wouldn’t be able to meet as Windows developer, and there isn’t really anyone working on Mac apps, and the iOS app is far from complete. The lack of interest from the Apple community while vibrant community exists around Windows and Android is telling, if you ask me.

I require 2FA for all moderators here for obvious reasons. For normal users it’s probably not necessary.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have also managed to log in using SQRL.

I used chromium and it worked without many issues. My main SQRL client was my Android phone. I would be interested in getting an iOS SQRL client as well but only via a released app in Apple Store.

I am really interested in seeing SQRL getting more adoption across the web :slight_smile:

With SQRL, you can actually install a web browser extension or the desktop application. This way, you just click on the SQRL icon and you get logged in.

Same complexity as using a password manager extension, but the website doesn’t have any information on you to leak!

1 Like

Yeah, this is how I use sqrl on my laptop.
But in order to log in for the first time i need my android phone which I do not always have with me.

In any case it’s not a huge problem because I need to do this only one but it would be great to have an iOS client as well and it would also help with the adoption.
I know there is a beta client, that is not released yet, so I am pretty sure it will be released at some point.

@thykoopa, this is the part I remain confused about. I configured the Wordpress SQRL plugin but still requires associating with existing user. Using SQRL login on twit.community still requires association with user account. Same on sqrl.grc.com forum. So I am interested in knowing about websites that support SQRL authentication without needing an email confirmation.

This is an optional design that SQRL allows for but which almost no website is going to allow because they don’t want fully anonymous participation.

1 Like

Depending on the config of the Wordpress blog, you can set it up so new users can first log on with SQRL and only later associated their account with an email if they wish to.

You can try to leave a comment on my blog https://brianoflondon.me if you want. There may be a slight problem with Steve’s Windows SQRL client right now, we’re working on debugging. Everything seems to work well with the browser extensions or the Android and iPhone clients if you have any of those working.

Not seeing any option to login with SQRL?

Here’s what I see. Click on a blog entry, scroll to bottom:

Then when you click the login link you should see:

Sorry, you’re both right, I have two commenting systems. One is based on the Steem blockchain and doesn’t support SQRL (though I’m trying to get them interested in it)

The other is native WordPress comments and that does support SQRL.