Leave your PC on all the time, or do you turn it off?

I leave my desktop PC on all the time, I turn off my laptop because I only use it 2 or 3 times a week…

1 Like

I did have a UPS + surge protector before but because of how frequent it happens; the surge protector bit keeps frying out.

currently transient spikes don’t happen that much. My computer is hooked to a surge protector.

1 Like

Just FYI a surge protector is almost useless. They’re basically fuses… [too] high voltage still gets through…

What you need in this case is a more expensive UPS, known as an Online UPS. What that means it that your computer always runs off the battery inside, and the UPS makes it’s own power sine wave. The incoming power is only connected to the battery, so there is no way for the power spikes to pass through to the computer.

This is not a specific recommendation (as I have never used it so I cannot recommend it), but I looked on Amazon and here is an example of one: Amazon.com

3 Likes

Looks like I’m one of the few that powers down the machine and turns off the plug to all my peripherals. It’s just become part of my nightly or leaving work routine. With how fast Windows 10 boots it doesn’t make much difference to me. Wonder if there’s any noticeable difference in power usage?

1 Like

The only devices that I have “on” all the time are my Android phone and iPads. Chargers for everything are on timers. Per local fire department recommendations, all electrical devices not actively being used are off and disconnected from the supply (some by remote control switches). When the refrigerator/freezer compressor isn’t running, my power monitor shows the standing current draw for the whole house is around 90w, which could possibly be improved on but probably only at disproportionate expense and effort.

2 Likes

I leave computers on, and it goes off when it goes to sleep or there is a electrical power failure for the whole neighborhood then it stays off.

1 Like

Multiple machines at home and work. Always on or in sleep mode depending on the computer.

1 Like

I leave my desktops on all the time, been doing that for years. Laptops turn off when done using them though.

1 Like

I’ll leave my desktop running if I have a task in the background, could be almost anything including downloads.

I also have a 400w Dell dual Xeon server I keep on 24/7, it features extreme power efficiency per watt. I’ve had it running since 2012 and got it for a great bargain brand new. I also use it to brain bench my personal and/or work projects.

1 Like

I usuall y turn off my Windows PC off, especially the electronics in the bedroom for sleep.

3 Likes

I leave my desktop computer on most of the time. If I know I’m not going to have time for several days to do anything with it, or I’m just not going to be home, I will usually turn it off then. I also have a UPS for my computer and a separate one for my network gear.

2 Likes

I normally turn off my Desktop if I know that I am going to be away from my computer for 8+ hours. Assuming it isn’t transcoding or doing anything else in the background.

3 Likes

I work rotating shifts, sometimes days sometimes evenings…basically my desktop PC is powered off when I’m not home, or sleeping.

2 Likes

I must admit back in the day I never powered down my computer but lately I have found I am still in the habit of allowing it to got to sleep when I am not using it.ff

2 Likes

I haven’t had a desktop in so many years now, but when I did, I always left it running. If I get my laptop out, I’ll usually end up leaving it plugged it and powered up for a few days straight and just close the lid (I set it to shut off the display when the lid closes). Seems like I use my iPhone and Galaxy Tab more and more these days. I’ll likely buy an iPad Pro as my next “computer” purchase. I really dig the OS changes Apple has made.

2 Likes

Desktop always on, reboot once a week.
Laptop off after I use it.

1 Like

All desktops on all the time to avoid the cycle on/off pitfalls but also so they can do regular housekeeping like updates and backups during the overnight

2 Likes

haha I know this pain. We did a “refresh” at work like 2 years ago and the machines are now 5 years old. They take at least 3 full minutes to start.

However we are told not to shut down as the patches are pushed after work.

2 Likes

I’m still struggling with the “file system” of iPadOS. I need to consult with @mikahsargent about my photography workflow on that OS.

3 Likes

I have for like the last 10 years put things to sleep. Over the years, I have had systems that wouldn’t come back to life or windows just screws things up so sleep doesn’t work right. This has made me pull my hair out. But for the last few years, everything has worked well.

4 Likes