Leave your PC on all the time, or do you turn it off?

So, what’s your practice? Do you leave your computer on all the time, or do you turn it off?

In years past, starting in the 1990s - I noticed that I tended to have more issues with desktops if I turned it on and off (parts breaking) - as opposed to leaving it running 24/7.

This seems to be less of an issue now-a-days… But, I still leave desktops running 24/7. I admittedly don’t do that with laptops, because I’ve always felt that heat is more of an issue with laptops.

What are your normal practices? Just curious…

Always on. I believe it’s generally agreed that power cycling can be harder on the components, but I also prefer to have it on to save time (though total boot time is minimal with NVMe SSD).
CPU throttles down when idle, so it’s not using too much power.

Plus I’m often rendering, transcoding, mining, etc when I’m afk.

1 Like

I used to leave several machines on all the time… and then climate change started it being warmer, and this past summer I had machines fail in weird ways they never did before, so now I let them enter sleep after 30mins or so of inactivity.

1 Like

I completely power off my electronics daily and always have, as well as shut off power to any power strips. These days with stateless drives and such, I imagine powering cycling causes less strain on componentry than it used to.

1 Like

I leave my Mac on 24/7.

2 Likes

I leave the computer on all day, but put the monitor off after 30 minutes of no use.

2 Likes

I leave mine in sleep mode sans a scheduled backup job that runs every night.

1 Like

because of transient spikes that happens in my home, i leave my pc off when i sleep.

1 Like

Always on. Desktop. Chromebook is off until needed.

1 Like

I use MacBooks and Chromebooks, so I just close the lid and let them hibernate. Probably reboot about once a week.

1 Like

I used to leave mine on 24/7 but now that I’ve switched to a liquid cooled rig I’m conscious of that water pump MTBF. Also running Windows 10, so “shutting down” isn’t really shutting down any longer in the logical sense. Also helps with the power bill!

edit - leave my Surface in sleep mode as it typically lives in my bag anyway.

1 Like

Is it an open loop setup?

1 Like

I suppose technically it is open loop. I designed it with some parts I pilfered from a closed loop cooler I really liked but wasn’t Threadripper-compatible. So kind of quasi-open loop.

1 Like

I always leave my desktop on. It’s pretty much a 24/7 thing for me. However, I do reboot about once a week. I have noticed a regular reboot seems to improve system performance for me. My laptop is off until I need it. It wasn’t mentioned but I also keep my phone on 24/7 except for the weekly reboot like my desktop. Does anyone else notice better performance of their 24/7 devices with a regular reboot?

1 Like

You really should consider a UPS for that. Your PC will be more reliable and your PSU will last longer. You still may not be happy with it on while sleeping, because the UPS may alarm.

1 Like

I am excited to see this topic pop up! At work, I asked my colleagues if they turn their computers off at the end of the day, and I found that I was the only one doing a complete shutdown. Everyone else was either putting theirs to sleep or hibernating. We all have 2012 Dell towers running Windows 7, which desperately need to be replaced. I’m going to just hibernate from now on to avoid the 15 minutes it takes from pressing the power button to being able to completely open Outlook. At home, I use a MacBook Pro and iPad Pro for my art gig and I exclusively use sleep.

1 Like

I leave my machines in stand-by mode when I’m not in front of them.

My desktop and my home laptop get re-started once a month, when the updates arrive, otherwise they are in stand-by or hibernation when not in use.

My old PCs have always lasted longer than they were useful, touches wood, I’ve had 1 hard drive failure in nearly 40 years of computing. My 2003 Acer laptop was handed off to a student in 2014, who needed it for some coursework and couldn’t afford a new PC. My 2008 Core2Quad was still working fine, but the restriction of 4GB RAM was making it slow in 2018, so it got recycled.

2 Likes

Here’s a related question/poll… if you leave your PC on all the time, do you have a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)?

• I don’t leave my PC on 24/7, but I do not have a UPS
  • I don’t leave my PC on 24/7, but I do have a UPS
  • I leave my PC on 24/7 it’s a laptop (with the battery as my “virtual UPS”)
  • I leave my PC on 24/7 without a UPS
  • I leave my PC on 24/7 and have a UPS

0 voters

1 Like

Oh for sure, a UPS is an absolute must. I don’t know if they all do this, but I really like that mine shuts the computer and anything else connected to the UPS down if power has been lost for 5 minutes. So if I’m out somewhere, I won’t come home to the UPS draining power.

2 Likes

I think in Windows it’s a setting, but might be default on Mac.

I use a UPS not just for the protection from sudden loss of power, but also for power conditioning. I also like to make sure I build only with quality PSUs that test well and have good warranties (12 year warranty with Seasonic in my desktop).

This is one reason I like to build PCs versus buying prebuilt; most PC manufacturers might use acceptable power supplies, but it’s usually not cost effective to put the highest quality, most efficient units (side benefit of higher wattage, efficient units: they can run in zero RPM fan mode when at 50% load, leading to quieter computer).

1 Like