Leave your PC on all the time, or do you turn it off?

I have a Windows 10 Laptop. I hibernate it and usually will do an actual restart once a month. I like the conveince of being able to pick up on my work where I left off with hibernation but to be able to take my laptop with me with out fear that something is running in the background that I’m unaware of and draining my battery. I often times leave it at home just sitting on my desk but hibernation just seems to be what works best for me.

3 Likes

I have a Gaming PC, Mac Mini, and another PC I use as an home server. I turn off the PC nightly and the Mac I turn off and on as needed. The other PC I use as a server stays on 24/7 with a weekly restart on Tuesdays. I mostly turn stuff off cause they are in my room and would keep me up if left them on. I get away with the leaving the server on cause I just put something in-front of the power light to keep things dark.

3 Likes

Yeah I gave up on “sleep” in windows, too

2 Likes

My rig has warm, orange LEDs that gives my office a nice ambiance, if you will

4 Likes

Always on. Saw very little difference in the power bill turning them off at night. I also think it’s harder on them being turned on and off every day. Reboot them once a week or to keep Windows and the software happy.

2 Likes

Both my NAS and main computer are in the bedroom where I sleep. I leave the NAS on, as it doesn’t make too much noise or flash annoying lights. I turn my desktop off when I go to sleep unless I need to keep it on to download or update something for some reason over night.

1 Like

Of course it’s orange! :grin:

3 Likes

I use a laptop for my work daily driver and often will end up putting it to sleep most days and letting it go into hibernate when it feels like it. Usually reboot no more than once every two weeks.

Our home computer is a desktop on a UPS that is turned off when we’re done using it - find that we end up using our tablets a good part of the time and it’s one less thing for our cats to stare at.

1 Like

#dontjudgeme
I yam what I yam :grinning:

5 Likes

What the heck do you have installed on them? Our PCs start in around 20-30 seconds to the logon screen and about another 10 to the desktop, once the password has been entered. Only when we do a Windows 10 feature update do we get 3 minute logins. (Mainly Core i3, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSDs.)

1 Like

SSDs can take a lot of time off the start up

I haven’t bought a PC at work or home in the last 8 years that wasn’t SSD based. You are saving money on the wrong end.

1 Like

They’re DoD machines so they have like 3 different anti virus programs, a deep freeze like policy program, credential applications etc etc. They are HP workstation laptops, no SSD.

Awful machines.

1 Like

I have mine go at sleep after an hour.

1 Like

I do so much with my computer, even when I’m not there that I leave it running pretty much all the time.
I’ve got a Surface Pro 4 core m3 model. My mistake for buying an underpowered device, but I didn’t realize I would like it as much as I do. Besides development, acting as a server, and doing all sorts of random other stuff when I’m AFK, I actually remote in to my desktop for a good portion of every day, and use it over remote desktop as my surface machine.

1 Like