LastPass Studios!

This is all a positive to me. A sponsor that believes so much in the network that it wants to attach its name to it. Twit has a long history of only working with products they believe in and a clear line between editorial and business. The entire network is built on trust and loyal listeners…they won’t do anything to screw that up.

9 Likes

I just find any form of sponsorship bad, the same with advertising, the more a company spends on advertising and sponsorship, the less likely I am to buy those products, because I know that the price is artificially high in order to cover those deals. That said, some products can’t be avoided or are so good that I still buy them, despite the advertising, LastPass and Audible being two cases in point.

Red Bull is a classic example.

Another is “Sponsored by Ford Focus”, erm the Focus is a damned product, it isn’t a person or a company, it isn’t a legal entity, how can it sponsor anything?

I refuse to wear clothing that emblazes symbols and slogans from famous brands, if they want to use my t-shirt as an advertising space, they shouldn’t be charging me a small fortune to wear it! (I’m thinking Nike an Co. here.) Also, in the past, you actually had to go somewhere to get a t-shirt, sweatshirt etc. with a famous locations brand on it, it was a way of saying you had visited that place, but today you only have to go as far as your smartphone to order such products, they have lost their cachet, they are no longer a symbol to say you have been somewhere, just a symbol that you have bought a an overpriced t-shirt.

When I used to go on holiday with a motorbike club, we’d have t-shirts made up for that holiday, it represented something. Just like getting a band t-shirt or a Bondi Beach t-shirt back when I was a kid represented something more than that you had waved your Visa card around.

On the other hand, given how our society works, I don’t see how people like Leo can run their business any other way. That is why, whilst I personally find advertising and sponsorship abhorrent, I still accept it and I am glad that Leo can find sponsors and advertisers to allow him to run his business.

I’d happily pay for each podcast I listen to, but my guess is that well over 90% of people would not pay. I pay for Thurrott.com, for example. I can’t afford many such subscriptions, but for the few podcasts that I listen to, I’d gladly pay to support the network. But most of society just isn’t wired that way.

3 Likes

You nailed it. :fist_right:t5:
((my twenty characters needed here))

2 Likes

I remember that video and laughed so hard when you set Arrington straight. I still talk to Loren from time to time, btw.

5 Likes

This is branding though (yes, all part of brand awareness). Just looked around the room I’m stood in, there isn’t one item that isn’t branded. Cooker, juicer, microwave, macs, kettle, Sonos, boots, coats, coffee cup, even a Giottos blower. You can’t be avoiding all branded goods?

2 Likes

For the most part. Although I am talking about the big logos and slogans that take up the majority of a t-shirt or sweatshirt. A small (1cm) logo on the breast, I don’t find too offensive, a 20cm logo around my stomach is a no-no.

My jeans are no-name. My shoes don’t have any logos visible (usually on the sole, so facing the ground, if any). The pullover I’m currently wearing has a small (1cm) St.O logo on the breast, my t-shirt no logo. My glasses, no logo, my watch, no logo.

My smartphone, a discreet Hauwei on the back in small letters (and hidden under a case).

It isn’t always avoidable, but anything big-and-brash is automatically rejected.

The same with other things, the manufacturers name in a small corner, fine, a big logo covering the whole front or back, no.

2 Likes

I’m similar with clothes, but think that’s just my style as opposed to a stand against branding. My car has large badges, but it meets my needs. My laptop has an illuminated logo :joy:

2 Likes

My laptop has a discreet logo in the corner and the car small badges on the boot, no big stickers or logos and no spoilers etc.

Thanks David for the long explanation. I don’t agree with much of it. I don’t mind, in fact kinda like, promoting the products I buy. For example. Olympus camera. I’m proud I own one. And willing support them by displaying stickers or wearing a hat with a logo on it. Why? I want Olympus succeed and stay in business. Same for many of the local made, high quality products I buy. I want them to succeed.

From an economics standpoint, the price of a product or service has much more to do with how much the consumer is willing to pay for it than the costs associated with making and marketing a product. A company is not going to buy advertising if it does not result in more sales AND profits. To do otherwise would be silly. In your logic, then, the advertising is actually HELPING to keep the cost down. (Costs spread out over more units sold.)

4 Likes

[quote=“Uzetaab, post:6, topic:4265”]
“Welcome to TWiT brought to you from the Last Pass Studios in Sunny Petaluma California”[/quote]

I wish I’d thought of that because I like it and take back my negative feelings about the sponsorship.

3 Likes

Leo would never let that happen…

4 Likes

Also, I assume the contract stipulates that TWiT retains control over editorial content.

2 Likes

I’ve heard many times, Leo say something to the effect “ Company X wanted to advertise on TWiT but I didn’t feel like they were a good fit!”

7 Likes

Sho nuff!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I for one am thrilled for this sponsorship I’ve not saw it done before, I know Leo will pull out if they try to control what he says and in fact I would not be surprised if that is in writing in their contract that if they try to control content that it is a breach of contract. I love Leo for vetting his sponsors. Out of the list of sponsors I’ve tried from Twit, the only one I’ve felt didn’t live up to the twit standard was stamps.com.

3 Likes

So basically the “TWiT Eastside Studios” is no more, and it’s to be referred to as “LastPass Studios”?

2 Likes

Yes, Leo does a great job with protecting Twit. Leo assured me that my mistake in thinking and saying what might happen, will not happen. I respect him a lot more for him correspondence with me on a one to one basis. We all stick are foot in our mouth from time to time, looks like it was my turn this time. I hope everybody’s feet are clean. No offense meant to anyone, and none taken.

4 Likes

as long as LastPass gets on their 4.0 version and fixes the whole riffic problems that has compared to the previous version I’m all for the change in name only.

3 Likes

Personally I’m not the biggest fan of this change but it is something I could get used to if it meant TWiT gets some good funding.

One suggestion though if LastPass will allow this, I think TWiT should at least still be in the name somehow, call it the “TWiT LastPass Studios” or something. Just LastPass Studios makes it sound like LastPass owns and produces the content, not that they are simply sponsoring you guys.

5 Likes

I do disagree. Many of the local radio stations do the same thing, usually for a weekend or during rush hours you will hear it. Live from the Roto Rooter Plumber’s Studio or other business name. You know it’s the same content you came to see that they just paid a little extra for the name right for that segment or segments.

2 Likes