Password Managers

I have been using 1Password for a number of years due to the ability to keep the vault local. However, with multiple computers it becomes harder to sync passwords between devices. I have been evaluating other password managers. What app do you use/suggest?

• 1 Password
  • Lastpass
  • Dashlane

0 voters

1 Like

I love Lastpass.
I use the notes section to record my fake answers to security questions.
i.e. “What was your first boyfriend’s name?” My answer could be something like, nail file. I use different fake answers for each site.
I find it smoothly syncs across all my devices.

4 Likes

I have been thinking about using Lastpass. But, it concerns me that if I loose my master password will I be able to recover it some how. Like I said I’m looking into it.

1 Like

I was worried about that at the beginning, and took some steps to mitigate it. I have written down my master password and have it stored in the wall safe in my house. I also export my passwords from LastPass once a quarter, and upload them to my TrueCrypt container on my S3 instance.

4 Likes

Yes, there really is no way around that. But you could write it someplace and keep it safe. And/or put it on a USB drive, and keep that safe

I agree that saving offline somewhere is safe. It seems highly unlikely that someone would come across that and figure out that it is your master password. Then learn of your login name and then on top of that, get by the 2FA that you could use in Lastpass.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Bitwarden which is opensource for about 2 yrs now and have absolutely no complaints. It does exactly what I need it to do and syncs passwords across all devices. Also I can share certain passwords in the vault with my wife for accounts that we both need access too.

3 Likes

I have been a happy user of Lastpass Premium for years now. I am currently fighting a problem with multifactor authentication failing… I emailed support took days for them to ask for details most of which were in my original email. Took more days to request answers to a long list of questions, many of which were in my first and second emails, many don’t seem to have anything to do with what may be the cause. Wouldn’t be so bad if it didn’t take so long for responses. Anyone have any suggestions for other managers?

Thank you all.

Another happy Bitwarden user. Exported passwords out of Chrome and installed the extension into Firefox and only use Chrome for Gmail and YouTube.
I got the family plan for $1 a month, but still need my wife to make the switch, but she has access to my passwords if needed. Assuming she can remember her password for Bitwarden.com.

Would be nice if Synology offered Bitwarden as an app for the NAS or router.

2 Likes

I forgot my master password once. I had printed out the one time password and could recover my account. I keep the OTP in my safe.

I have been using keeper for the past 5 years or so. I tried pretty much all the other options and always come back to keeper.