IPhone Storage “Calculating category sizes”

Is anyone having issues with iPhone Storage settings page display “Calculating category sizes” along the top and have it never complete?

I am on iPhone XS running iOS 13.1.2.

Also noticed when I go to check for updates, it is stuck on “Checking for Update”.

Anyone know how to fix this?

iPhone 11 on 13.2, took about 5 seconds to complete “Calculating category size”, and Software Update showed version in about 2 seconds.

I believe in off/on as the first step, and a reboot if that doesn’t do it.
" To perform a hard reboot on the iPhone X , press and quickly release the Volume Up button, then do the same for the Volume Down button. Follow up by pressing the Side button, and hold until the display suddenly shuts off — about 10 seconds"

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Software update started working and says there’s an update for 13.1.3. Not on wifi so cannot download. Will have to install when I get home from work. If that doesn’t fix the iPhone storage problem, I’ll try a hard reboot - that’s not the same as a factory reset is it?

No, nothing like factory reset. No loss of data or apps.

1 Like

I don’t like to recommend doing anything to anyone until I have done it myself. On old iPhone 6, did reboot all the time.

I literally just did the reboot on my 11. All as expected. Had to hold Sleep button at least 10-15 seconds, but once it shuts down, just wait another 10-20 seconds, and phone should boot up again with no action from you (Apple comes up)

I tried it - I just held it until I could see the Apple logo again. It hasn’t fixed the iPhone storage “Calculating category sizes” issue. Will see if the software update fixes it later.

Just discovered it was one specific app preventing the categories updating. Deleted the app and category sizes updated immediately.

1 Like

Good catch. Have to try to remember that.

Yeah, I scrolled down the list of apps in iPhone storage and there was one app where the space occupied was a spinning busy circle. Delete that app and all was okay. Will have to remember that if I have the issue again.