Iphone 11 or Samsung S10

Hi everyone. I have been a loyal android user since the original Droid but as my S8 is on its last leg I am debating on either picking up the S10 or finally going over to the dark side (lol) to Apple.

What I need in a new phone is a fast processor, good camera and good battery life. I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on either phone. Thanks!

1 Like

How invested are you in apps? Will you have to purchase some again if you switch?
You will be stuck with Apple apps as the default, so will have to learn to live with them, or copy/paste info into the app you want to use.

But on the plus side for Apple, the phone will get updates for many years to come not just 2 or 3 years.

6 Likes

I will also add, that certain recent changes to iOS has made the transition from Android easier - support third party keyboards, password managers, and limited access to the file system. However, if you are an Android power user with a lot of apps, I would see if the apps you want to use are available on iOS too. Apps that dig deep into the system, will not be available in iOS.

I made the switch to an iPhone Xs in 2018 and very happy with it, with the consistency of the apps and availability of updates. The one feature that put it over the top was the support for third party password managers.

I still do not like iOS on an iPad though, and prefer Android; I may be one of the rare people with this opinion.

4 Likes

How much did you customize your phone? Remember that on Apple customization is not really a thing. No custom launcher, no having an icon in more than one place. No gadgets on the home screen, etc. I could never use an iPhone because I don’t like living in a room that I can’t rearrange the furniture.

2 Likes

They both satisfy the three requirements you list. Why not give the iPhone a shot and see how you like it? I’ve switched mobile OS’s several times and it doesn’t take long to get used to whatever you are using. Worst cast scenario, you sell the iPhone in a few months (they retain their value very well) then use that money to buy an S10 (they are often available at a good discount). You’ll have gained some perspective about what people-- including yourself-- like and don’t like about iOS, and you’ll be none the worse for wear.

4 Likes

Because the S20 comes out next week, the S10 is under 600EUR at the moment on Amazon.

5 Likes

The regular iPhone 11 is a great phone. Nice size at a good price. I don’t miss the third telephoto camera lens of the pro (digital zoom is fine). I have 4 of the iPhone 11’s on my family plan. Everybody got one in an Otterbox Defender case. I did go up one level to 128Gb storage.

3 Likes

I swtiched from Android over to iPhone probably 7 yeas ago. The thing that pushed me over the edge was at the time the lack of updates to the phone I was carrying and when a cool new app would launch but wouldn’t be compatible with my version software or hardware. My favorite thing about IOS has been that I when someone says get it on IOS, I’m able to go to the app store and download. I use a Windows PC so now the downside is that text messages don’t come in on my phone. But I’ve switched most of my daily conversations away from SMS/MMS and to cross compatible messaging apps.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone I think I am going to go with the 128 GB IPhone 11. I appreciate all the help!

6 Likes

Plus Samsung actually announced a price cut for the S10 at their launch event for the S20.

3 Likes

Get back to us on your opinion as well! I have several pluses for my iPhone over Android…most listed above but also, battery life seems much better than my daughters LG. Not sure if that’s the case for all Androids but it sure is better than LGs battery life. She’s often slow to get updates, as well. They both seem equally fast and have beautiful screens!

You will be stuck with Apple apps as the default, so will have to learn to live with them, or copy/paste info into the app you want to use.

Not entirely true. Some apps will allow you to choose a preferred browser or other apps to use instead of the Apple defaults. I’ve found that most of the interoperability works as I want it to. I use third party apps over Apple defaults almost exclusively, though I’ve recently moved back to Safari I still have Chrome installed.

1 Like