iPad OS replies broken

Yep, it’s definitely a bug-a-roo.

1 Like

Um, I’m not following? If you look up at the message you replied to, it says “2 Replies” with a little down arrow to indicate what the replies are.

As for any indication in your message, it shows the quote and a little up arrow. Clicking the up arrow will take you to the quoted message.

I’ll grant there are some apparent inconsistencies but a quote is not a reply, because you COULD merge multiple quotes into one message, from different senders.

Anyway, I hope you can find something that doesn’t make you too grumpy, because obviously we want happy users that enjoy participating :smiley:

Are you not seeing any messages with an upward/right-pointing relpy arrow, userpic, and username in the upper-right of messages which are in reply to others in this thread? In that case, it’s a broader bug than we thought.

I’m seeing the arrows you mention, but that’s not what I’m referring to.

Test to see if the arrow and user avatar appears because this message is a reply further back in the message chain.

This is a reply, where I expect to see what you mentioned because I clicked the reply button in your message.

The behaviour between quote and reply is different, and if a quote is present, I think it takes precedence over any reply functionality. If you see the two test messages I made before this one, they have the avatar and reply arrow you expect.

For me, it all seems to work as I expect. I’ve not encountered any reply bug… but then I usually use quote TBH.

Hmm, OK, 1 last test to your latest message :crossed_fingers: Expecting the reply arrow and avatar stuff.

Edit: nope. And I did click the Reply button on your message.

Will now try your previous message.

2nd test, this one of your earlier message.

Edit: It worked. So why didn’t it when I replied to your “not following” message? Or canuck’s earlier? Weird. I think it’s definitely a bug.

You won’t ever get the “reply avatar arrow” thing if it is the last message (before the one you are about to compose) when you hit reply. Even if someone else sneaks a reply in the middle, I suspect it will still not show.

You should always get it if the message is further back in the chain, but you didn’t use the quote function.

Indeed; it is its failing to show when replies aren’t to the latest that I consider the bug.

Okay, so must be something specific to the client, maybe? I don’t think I’ve ever encountered it otherwise. But I will be vigilant now :wink:

We understand one another! :slightly_smiling_face: I made no warrant as to where the bug would or wouldn’t appear besides iPad. I appreciate your vigilance :+1: Do let us know if you catch it.:v:

1 Like

I think I’m seeing the same thing with the Android Discourse client, although I hadn’t identified the pattern before. Doesn’t make sense to me for the reply button inside a message to behave differently depending on whether it’s the last message or not, which can change while you’re typing.

Edit: and this time it showed as a reply with avatar even though it was the last message. Inconsistent, so looks like a bug.

Edit2: nope, another message snuck in without my seeing it so I wasn’t replying to the last. Makes the result unpredictable.

2 Likes

Well, here’s an experiment. I edited a message that has the arrow and avatar, and it shows on the top of the edit box (note I cancelled the edit afterward, I just wanted to see the ui.) It looked like

So take a peek at one where you thought the arrow would have appeared but did not… curious if it shows in the edit UI anyway. Cause then it would clearly be a bug in the server and not the client.

1 Like

That bolsters the recommended behavior’s being that individual message reply buttons always carry the referrer (obviously, a thread’s main reply button, at the bottom in blue, never would). I think it’s clearer that way, because one without it could mean either a reply to the previous in the thread, or someone initiating a new message entirely. At a glance, following the thread is made confusing because any given message lacks its proper context if it’s been in reply to what at the time was the most recent message, but there’s no indication of that after-the-fact.

1 Like

It does. I probably should have mentioned that earlier, but didn’t want to cloud the discussion. I don’t recall the edit window ever lacking the reply goodies.

It’s probably server-side, I just didn’t want to declare it to be so based only on my own experience, right out of the gate in the thread title :sweat_smile:

For quoting text, sometimes it appears, and sometimes the quote does not. I have found that if I want the quoted text, I go back and edit the post after it is initially posted… I quote the text again in the edit, and then the quoted text appears for good.

1 Like

No on the frankincense…but I am totally out of myrrh.

(Still having fun? Ready to be home yet?)

I’ve had that quote glitch happen too. Also putting a link to a news story sometimes creates the nice box with the title and sometimes just the plain url, even though I do it the exact same way each time :confused:

I think that may depend on the link. Long URLs with strange symbols tend to not make the box. It could also depend on how the other page is designed.

1 Like