IP phone to IP phone - delays & quality

Whenever I call from my company’s VOIP network to another VOIP network/number, I seem to notice significant delays when my voice arrives at the receiver’s end and vice versa. I also notice that if I am using Wifi Calling on my iPhone and call a VOIP number, there seems to be some delay, not as bad as the VOIP to VOIP, but enough to be noticeable.

Has anyone else had this experience? Or, is it just me?

Wifi has a lot of latency. yes , I have the same issue.

1 Like

There is always delay on any VoIP network although it’s not usually percieveable if done properly. Although when distance is a factor and networks get busy + as mentioned above when WiFi is involved the delay can creep up and up.

You notice it on conference calls and on Twit when people are waiting to say something often two people start talking at the same time then both stop after the second word because the realise that they are talking over each other.

2 Likes

I had a lot of problems with network delay and sound quality when using WiFi for VOIP calls. Switched to using the cheapest model of Grandstream desk phone I could find, which uses Ethernet. Delay has disappeared and audio quality for both ends of the call is indistinguishable from a landline call (which these days is often VOIP too).

Edit for completeness: I got a Grandstream GXP 1610 phone and use it with a basic account at Sipgate UK - no standing charge, low cost call charges, one line, limited support.

2 Likes

I used to use sipgate years ago before mobiles took over with my old analogue house phone and a cisco pap2t - worked really well.

1 Like