IndieWebCamp NYC

If any around this weekend (2019-10-05 to 2019-10-06) love to have you join us for IndieWebCamp NYC https://2019.indieweb.org/nyc have great remote options.

Local to the City? Love to have you join us in person

1 Like

Interesting. I’m only vaguely aware of the indie web movement, but it’s something I’ve been thinking about quite a bit recently.

I’m involved in writing videogame guides. In the past 5 - 10 years I’ve seen independent fansites and helpsites just about completely disappear in favour of wikis hosted by Wikia (now Fandom). While this allows for more collaboration which is great, it means you’re putting all control in the hands of a single corporation. Over the past few years Wikia has been making some user hostile changes against the wishes of it’s community, such as inserting distracting and inaccurate videos onto pages, layout changes, excessive advertising etc. Some communities decided to move to another platform, Gamepedia, to escape this. But then Wikia bought Gamepedia, so they’re back again.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that if you’re going to take the effort to write content and put it out there, it should be done in a way where you can control and own it. The rise of static sites has helped here.

Sorry for the ramble, but like I said this has been on my mind quite a bit. I’m quite busy this weekend but will try to tune in to some sessions remotely.

Thanks for connecting. We do wonderful remote sessions.

we have IndieWebCamp Brighton coming up (Oxford was last weekend) but there are regular meet ups in the UK as well.

100% agree with you and many people use a wiki for the commonplace book on their site.

I’m going to link to TiddlyWiki in case it’s useful to anyone needing to edit their own Wiki style book What's some great free software you think more people should know about? - #27 by PHolder

Thanks yeah the admin tax of setting up mediawiki is just too much. I do it for my orgs but for students we use dokuwiki.

1 Like