How to set up an email with your own domain

Oh man! Now I remember why I stopped using Edison…I can’t move an email to a folder in another account. I often store all receipts in a folder in my .mac email called “Orders”. 90% come to my .mac email account and I can of course easily move them to that folder.

However, I do get receipts which come to my .gmail account and there is no way for me to move those emails to my Orders folder in my .mac account. iOS Mail allows me to do this.

Bummer! :confused:

Ah that’s not one situation I deal with. I generally use the one email account for everything.

1 Like

I just saw this article in Edison. Looks like they scrape your inbox!

1 Like

sorry to make it complicated
But i need to simplify the process for myself please let me know the way:

So if i need 2 emails as
A@myname.com
B@myname.com

Is this the cost?
—$15/yr for domain
—$20/yr for email
—$5/yr for forward gmail

X2???

Or can i just register a domain for $15 and create 2 free emails (as my@myname.com)and connect to gmail?

Thanks

I have one specialized email with my own domain. I am just paying about $20/year for the domain at Hover (.email) and $5/year to forward to Gmail. You only need to pay the $20/yr for email if you want to have your email stored by Hover.

2 Likes

As I understand it - through Hover- it’s $15 for the domain and then either $20(x2) for an email box or $5(x2) for and email address that is forwarded to another email.

If this is a business, there are services where you can create aliases (info@, marketing@, etc) that all lie under one login.

Cheapest route is probably $15 for the domain and then $5(x2) to forward. I’m not sure where you saw 2 free emails.

I only know this as I’ve researched it recently to clean up my own email act to get off the Google teet.

1 Like

Sounds good so i want a personal email
As i have like 10 gmails snd 8 yahoos and hotmails and so on

Somehow categorized them for les spam

If I git it right from your replies
Ican get a $15+$5+$5+$5/yr to have (example)
accounts@
Personal@
Junks@
And make them forward snd from a gmail account
So i can send snd receive emails to these new addresses right?
And I’m guessing hover is the reliable liw cost domain snd email service? ( i dhould buy snd set up email names with them first snd go to gmail to connect it?
And what would happen if hover goes out of service ir refuses to provide this service any more?
Can i move the same email to another provider or revert to google?

And if I forward it to gmail can I use the mobile app (gmail) to send/receive emails like my regular gmail?
Or should i use web browser every time i need to read/write an email

And is it true that google domain provides 100 free email forwarding?

1 Like

I would like to answer your query in terms of using Google.

If you create a domain using Google Domains, and use a gmail account as the receiving account, you can create up to 100 domain based email addresses. It costs me $12.00 per year for this service. There is no charge from Google to forward email from other accounts.

I have all my none domain email address accounts and domain email addresses forward to one gmail account.

You can use the mobile app to send and receive mail, by setting it up the same as your normal gmail account (it actually is just a normal gmail account). The downside is when you send email from the this account, it will be sent with the gmail account address, not the domain email address. If you do not want the receiving gmail account address to be public, you can configure your gmail account to use the domain address from within the browser based gmail settings.

Also, if you use 2 factor authentication on your Google account, you will need to create an App Password from your Google account to use when you configure your mobile or computer email client/app.

I’m scratching my head about how you can send emails from more than one of your domain mail addresses. I can set gmail to “Reply from the same address to which the message was sent”, but not sure if I can create an email and send from any of these addresses. Something to play around with.

3 Likes

If you don’t mind using Fastmail instead of Gmail, they support a catch all mailbox so you can set everything to go to there and use filters to separate the different addresses.

2 Likes

Hover is super reliable, they won’t disappear over night. The advantage of owning your domain (through Hover, google, whomever) is if by chance something happens you can always transfer it to another domain provider.

It sounds like you want to continue using your gmail as is. And this is just for you, not other family members.

One tip, you can use the plus sign to create aliases on the fly. For example, I can be dave+twit@gmail and all my TWIT email will go to my gmail. Same with dave+junk@gmail, etc.

If anyone can comment Fastmail vs Hover Email (or other email services with custom domains) I would appreciate it. At the moment I own my full name for my business, but am not using that for business email. And I’m also thinking of using a custom domain for emails for my kids, but I haven’t been excited about any top level domains to use for that.

2 Likes

Maybe not a very popular option but one I like and use is Zoho for email and several other things. Now I have had an account for a long time and I believe that new accounts don’t get quite as much as they used to at least for free but you can get a domain email for free and forward it wherever you like or use it in Zoho or connect it to outlook or something of that nature. But for me it is a good service and offers a lot of other services along with it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for these details

This way I’m guessing google domain is my to go as it a s the least expensive one and i would be free to create a few emails
Hover and fastmail both charge for email per client
2 last questions
Is there any way to automatically change the previous gmail name to continue conversation with the new domain
(That I dont need to inform anyone to send emails to the new address instead?

Is there any sign for receiving persons showing the gmail address linked to this new domain ( i mean would any one see this or would it be like a normal separate email for others?)

To be certain, so if I buy a domain from google, I can create for example 3 different emails (for free) and connect them to 3 gmails and ise them as a regular Non gmail email to send /receive emails with the app on smartphone regularly , right?

I purchase my domain from Godaddy, but I use gmail to handle all my email. I have two domains in my name that both are registered to Gsuite. I have approx. 7 aliases each. I pay $5/per user per month on my plan. Since I have one user this works well.

2 Likes

Here’s my setup, if it may benefit someone:

I took a cue from Leo using the alias feature - anytime I have to provide an email address I can just make one up on the fly. Best Buy wants my email? bestbuy@example.com. Pinterest wants my email? pinterest@example.com. Amazon? amazon@example.com.

Side benefit of using ‘single-use’ email addresses - if I were to start getting spam addressed to bestbuy@example.com I would know where that email address was compromised/leaked (because I’ve only used it at Best Buy).

Hope this helps… :v:

3 Likes

So I bought the google domain and set one aliase do far
But i got into a bug issue
I followed all steps and created app password
It is showing on setting
And when i want to compose a new email (web only, no success on app) it shows me the new domain in “From” box
BUT, when i send the email the other side receives the email from my main google account that i set my fomain with ( not even the one that i set to forward to)
Please help me figure out what’s wrong as google has no support

That’s cool just one question
Can you reply to sny email with same name? ( bestbuy@…)?please let me know how
Can you use any email app on phone to send from?
Or you are only able to send from main@example
?

I have considered doing this, but can’t decide on a domain name. I do know from prior experience that on some sites that let you do a search to see what is free… If ya don’t buy it then, they’ll buy it, and the next time ya go back - they charge ya more for it (to buy it back)

Anyway, I am considering this… But can’t decide on the domain name :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, you can reply to any email with same name.
Apps - Fastmail has an app which I use…I haven’t tried other apps but I’m sure they’d work with some configuration.

1 Like

Exactly that’s why i ev n didn’t google it before I do so

1 Like