How to set up an email with your own domain

In Gmail settings, under Accounts and Import, “Send mail as” section, click on “Add another email address”. Enter your domain email. When you go to enter SMTP server, enter gmail smtp server:

If you are using 2 factor authentication with your Google account, then you need to create an application password.

Once all that’s complete, you can set the default email as your domain email.

I had forgotten about setting Gmail SMTP server as your outgoing. I found a post about setting up your own domain in free Gmail. I’ll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here’s the article:

4 Likes

Duh! Okay, using the Gmail servers worked and using the Gmail web interface does the job. I just can’t get my Mac email client to work to reproduce the results. I don’t think it works to do aliases. I’ll have to dig more.

Thanks!

1 Like

Found this and it works!!

It now sends and shows up with my Hover email address. Thanks!

5 Likes

You are using the Gmail server in Mac Mail too? I don’t have a Mac, so don’t know how it sets email up - whether you select Gmail or something. Choose manual if you can and enter the Gmail SMTP server and password (you might need application password again if using 2FA).

1 Like

And for good measure, if someone needs instructions on how to set up aliases on iOS…

2 Likes

I stopped using Mail on the iPhone for Gmail a while ago as it does not support push for Gmail even when set up as an IMAP server. I actually do like the Mail app and not too keen on the Gmail app as I cannot change the notification sound on that. Push is one reason I might go back to FastMail and using the Mail app as FastMail supports the Apple push service.

Have tried other email apps for push with Gmail, but find them all a bit fussy - Spark is good, as is Outlook, but I have my work email on that and like to keep them separated.

I hate it that Gmail’s IMAP is slightly non-standard.

1 Like

When is the last time you used Mail on iPhone? I get all my Gmail emails instantly using it.

1 Like

I find that if I don’t have the app running emails do not arrive immediately. You can’t select push for gmail accounts in settings. Did a test earlier and the email did not arrive in Mail until the scheduled pull.

1 Like

Interesting. I get them almost instantly whether I’m running the app or not.

1 Like

Has never worked for me. Not since Google dropped support for Exchange Activesync for non Gsuite accounts.

1 Like

Hmmm. You are probably right. I just sent an email from my .Mac account to my Gmail using my laptop and watching my phone (Mail app is not running). Gmail came in instantly. I don’t see any notice from the iPhone or the Mail app! That’s disappointing.

1 Like

Other apps will support gmail push, but as I said, I find those apps a bit fussy. I’ll stick with the Gmail app until I switch over to another email provider. At least I get notifications from gmail on my Apple Watch so don’t miss notifications - the main reason I want to change notification sound for gmail away from the default notification sound in iOS (which you cannot for gmail app).

2 Likes

Am trying out Edison on my iPhone again. I can’t remember why I stopped using this . It supports Gmail push without using IMAP and aliases.

2 Likes

I will give Edison another try. Is there a reason you don’t want to use IMAP and aliases?

1 Like

I just mean that it seems to natively support gmail, so can just tap in the email address I want to use for the emails.

2 Likes

I set up Edison. Very easy to do, especially with the Alias I am using with Gmail that I set up with Hover. iOS Mail was a bit more difficult.

1 Like

Absolutely. The personal domain will forward to wherever you want. I have used it for years.

2 Likes

I like the Edison email app so much I went to their website and downloaded their desktop version but have to be on a waiting list! :frowning:

Have to say @Pommster did a great job with this one. When I worked my way through this process a couple of years ago, I did not write it down. Then, had to go through figuring it out again at least twice before I did write it down.
Not to take away revenue from TWIT, but will add a comment.
I use Google for domain and email (not saying everyone should). I have started creating unique email addresses using my domain for when I create new online accounts and apps, like signing up for the Maccas app to collect free coffees (which is crap because the app never works when you get to the counter). Each time I create a new address, I have to go through the process to have it sent through gmail. There is no additional cost for forwarding the new address. Appears that Hover charges $5.00 for each forwarded address. Am I reading that wrong?

2 Likes

Thanks for the appreciation. Yes, Hover charges $5 per YEAR for each email forward. Unfortunately they do not do catch all address that I know of. There are some free email forwarders where you point your MX DNS record to them, but I don’t trust them not to harvest your email contents.

1 Like