How is everyone in Europe doing?

The hurricane forecast for Sunday into Monday didn’t really materialise here, in North Germany. We had windows of around 80mph, but the forecast 120mph winds didn’t touch this region. Further south it was supposed to be stronger, 120mph+ winds in the Alps was the last I saw.

On TWiG, I heard the UK was also hit with a heavy storm. I hope everybody is doing well.

We’ve had a few branches down, walking the dog yesterday, she got blown 20cm to the right, as we came out of the protection of our street onto the main road, so I decided, it was probably better to turn around and go back into the relative wind protection. I haven’t seen any real building damage here, in the area, and I haven’t heard of anyone being seriously hurt. So we seem to have gotten away with it, for now.

The forecast says that the storm will run through to tomorrow evening! So 4 days in total.

So, how is everybody else holding up? I hope everybody else has managed to get away with no injuries and no real damage!

2 Likes

I saw video on the CBC news that implied there was some flooding in the UK. I can’t find that video now that I searched, but I did find these:

1 Like

Interesting, it is Storm Sabine, here, in Germany.

There was some flooding on the North coast of Germany and inland towards Hamburg, the Fischmarkt (Fish Market) was supposed to flood yesterday, but I didn’t catch it on the news last night.

The images there look similar to the situation in Southern Europe (Italy, Spain and Portugal) 2 weeks ago. The storms there left one city in about 4’ of sea foam, which they were trying to wash away!

The German rail system was closed down Sunday evening and started up again yesterday evening as a precaution. They wanted to ensure that passengers were only upset about not being able to travel, not being stuck for hours in carriages in the middle of nowhere.

1 Like

I’ve seen videos of aircraft having to do several go-arounds to land in the UK with storm Ciara hitting with high winds.

Meanwhile, in Australia… bush fires look like they will be put out by rain, to be replaced by flooding…

1 Like

There was a video of one of the Normans trying to land on one of the German islands in the North Sea, its wing was practically scraping the runway as it was caught by a strong gust.

1 Like

I live in the Midlands in the UK near Malvern. We have had strong winds but not too bad. Just a few fence panels blown down. Other parts of the UK seem to have issues with flooding.

2 Likes

Oxfordshire UK here. I drove to see my ill father on Sunday right into it. Not too bad when driving West directly into the storm, but 90mph crosswind gusts when I turned South over the Avonmouth Bridge was a real struggle :flushed: Glad I took the heavy car.

Feel for the folks around the Calder Valley. They are flooded out repeatedly, must be so demoralising.

Guest house in Scotland

Newhaven on the South Coast

3 Likes

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

That’s some damage.

1 Like

It’s called Ciara here in France too, and seems to be really hitting the north of the country. We’re lucky here in Marseille, just a bit breezy, and 17 degrees today.

1 Like

Pictures out of Hamburg:

There is a carousel of images towards the bottom. The Fischmarkt image can be enlarged. The water rose by 1.74M, (/5’7").

1 Like

Something I’ve noticed now I’m back home in Oxfordshire is many collapsed gable-ends on newly-built houses. Cheap/poor-quality construction I suspect.

Like this one…

2 Likes

There has been a lot of trampoline exchanges.
I have only gained a giant piece of polystyrene packaging, though if nobody claims the builders ton-bag in the lane, I may make use of it.

I live on a hill which gets a lot of high winds so for me it was a bit more blowy than usual, but nothing to worry about, apart from the risk of losing power.

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing lots of photos of snow in Edinburgh. And a newly opened bridge into the city closed because it couldn’t cope with the snow and ice…

1 Like

Southern Germany is pretty much fine. It’s just that we had a bit more wind than average.

1 Like

From yesterday’s paper…

5 Likes

Another storm this weekend too :-1:t2:

Winds are not forecast to be quite as strong, but lots of rainfall on ground that is already saturated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-51514056

Yes, the same here. Only up to around 70mph this time around. Middle Germany will probably get it worst, The Brocken is supposed to get 100mph winds, but southern Germany should see the tail end of the storm, last I heard.

Still quite windy though…

The UK GOV flood info service site is interesting this morning :flushed:

2 Likes

That is a mad map. East Anglia is very well drained…

2 Likes