How does TWiT get Skype on air?

Hey all,

Does anyone know what TWiT is using for their remote video guests? Windows/Mac computers? How do you send program/switcher video and mix-minus audio back to the guests?

I run a small, non-profit podcast studio (Black Magic ATEM M/E 4 + Axia Livewire audio workflow) and am always looking for ideas.

Thanks!

1 Like

I suspect how they send return video is related to how they have the Skype machine(s) wired into their switcher which is from NewTek. (The Tricaster 2.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. That’s kind of what I suspect too. I’m using an ATEM M/E4 switcher, which I don’t think is quite as featured as the Tricaster stuff. However, I wonder if I can use one of those programs that tricks Skype (or whatever program you use) into using whatever video you choose as the webcam. I’ve tried Manycam but haven’t quite figured it out though.

I use the OBS Studio software for this purpose from time to time, works quite well. Here’s a quick tutorial - How to Use OBS’s Virtual Camera - NEXTOFWINDOWS.COM

Ummm wut? I suspect Newtek would take extreme exception to that, being that @Leo has been advertising their latest version in the past weeks.

2 Likes

Skype+some broadcasting software (OBS, Xsplit, etc), NDI tools and add Skype as a source in your broadcasting software.

I’ve done this on my home setup since I don’t have MacOS and ECam. I also use an older video switcher similar to the ATEM.

Hope that helps.

And I for one, appreciate Newtek supporting our network. I’ve enjoyed using the new Tricaster, even though I’ve screwed up a few times on air. D’oh!

3 Likes

Ant, not screwed up. “Accidentally hit the wrong button on the new equipment”.

2 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: right. Exactly that. THX

I think that’s called “checking the non-core functionality”. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll defend the Tricaster to the death - we couldn’t do all the things we do without it. Rogan’s show is much simpler. I use an ATEM mini at home, but we’ve investigated ATEM and other hardware switchers for our studio and they just require too much additional gear to get the job done. Tricaster does it all, simply, and reliably.

However, we haven’t used the Tricaster in the audio chain for a long time. We use Telos Axia gear for all mics.

For Skype we use dedicated machines (we tried Skype TX, their broadcast solution, but it didn’t work with the Axia) one per guest. Each machine is routed into the Tricaster through a scan converter, or, more recently, through NDI. Audio is routed into the Axis system and from there into the Tricaster.

The wiki is a little out-of-date but there’s more info here:

https://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TWiT_Brick_House_Equipment

6 Likes

@Leo

Blockquote I’ll defend the Tricaster to the death - we couldn’t do all the things we do without it.

I’m with you on Tricaster. It just looks so much easier. For now, we’re a mostly BMD shop (switcher, cameras, etc.). But I’m seriously looking at changing that not too far down the road. I especially want to look at going NDI instead of SDI.

Thanks for the help everyone. We have “upper end” Dell Optiplex 5080s for the guests (If you think that’s a bad choice, lemme know. We’re not beyond changing gear to make this work.).

So I’m thinking assign one of the AUXs on our ATEM to send video back to the guest computers via a capture device. Something like:

ATEM SDI Aux > SDI to USB capture device > Dell Optiplex 5080.

Then that’s when I’d bring it into OBS/Xsplit/etc.? And from there, Skype (or whatever we use) would see it as a webcam so guests can see whatever we send them. Audio would come in directly from Axia. Does that sound about right?

Ruben

PS: Sorry for the double posts and withdrawn stuff. Apparently, I don’t know what I’m doing. I think I figured it out now. :joy:

Come to Alex Lindsay’s Office Hours today they’d likely be able to help. Office Hours goes live on his YouTube channel at 10am ET everyday except Sunday and Monday nights at 9:30pm ET.

1 Like

For what I do, I’m about 99% done with having OBS Ninja in place for personal use. Created a resuable url in the “create a room” setting. Added a password, of course. Send that to people when I want to host a chat. Video looks great. Audio could be a challenge for some people with less than ideal audio treatment and inputs, but it’s still better than what skype does, in my opinion.

2 Likes