HOP not indexed in Overcast

I was looking in Overcast for photography podcasts. Hands on Photography did NOT appear for either the audio or video version. As a check I looked with Pocketcast and both appeared. Thought you’d want to know as people can’t listen if they can’t find you.

1 Like

From Overcast

There’s no separate submission process to be included in Overcast. Simply submit your podcast to Apple Podcasts, and it will typically show up in Overcast’s search within 1–2 days.

1 Like

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my original post. HOP did not show up for me when I did a search for photography podcasts, to see what was available. If I searched for HOP specifically, it did show up.

If you are are happy just getting people who heard of you…great. If you are trying to attract someone who doesn’t know HOP but wants a photo podcast (grow your audience) you may want to see what is going on.

1 Like

We do have photography keywords in the feed (and “Photography” is in the name of the show), so I’m not sure what else we can do if Overcast’s search is just going to be lousy. We don’t have any control over that.

3 Likes

Marco Armant, the developer of Overcast, is a podcaster himself and a podcasting enthusiast, so it might be worth leaving him some feedback about your problem in case it’s something the app could address (Overcast).

1 Like

Thank you Clayton for suggesting the obvious. I was surprised Patrick so giving up so easily and not doing exactly what you suggested. And I am surprised I didn’t get so Much as a thank you” from Patrick, Leo, or Ant for pointing out the discovery problem.

1 Like

We’ve had similar problems before.I honestly wonder sometimes if Marco doesn’t like us. But HOP is a relatively new show, perhaps it’s just a matter of time.

And belated thanks for the heads up @Alanhp !

2 Likes

Thx, sir. 'Preciate the heads up

Looks like this has been resolved on OC’s end. I’ve never used OC for podcasts. Installed the app. Searched for the show and it listed the feeds. Thx, sir

2 Likes

It appears if you specifically search for HOP. If you search for “photography” podcasts, it does not show up. So, if someone doesn’t know about HOP they have ZERO chance of finding it and you miss a potential listener.

2 Likes

Interesting. Not sure it’s something we can do about it. It’s tagged. It’s in the “all mighty” Apple index. It has “photography” in the name. Maybe I need more reviews and ratings from existing listeners to please the algorithm. I only ask that every week. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I spoke to Patrick and while HOP is in the Overcast directory their software seems to be ignoring the keywords (and even title).

We’ve followed the submission process and emailed them. Not sure what more we can do.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what kind of bizarre search mechanism Overcast is using where it can’t even find part of the title of a podcast in its search. Maybe they haven’t indexed their data in a long time? Maybe they aren’t indexing podcast titles or keywords in their search? No way for us to know for sure. Hopefully they can fix the issue soon.

1 Like