HOP 5: The Best Photo Composition Tip

Good question. How about this, @Gothelf. I use your question as part of the next episode’s feedback?
I have an answer from my personal perspective and I’ll gladly mention this on the show. If you’re cool with that, please also share your instagram or twitter handle so I can let the viewers know.

Thanks for this. I will discuss the “why” soon on the show. With it being art, it can be a pretty polarizing discussion. (no pun intended)

And yes, you’re shooting “real” photography if you’re using your phone. That’s my two cents.

2 Likes

@ant_pruitt Sounds great, thank you! I don’t post much on Instagram or Twitter…no need for a plug but thanks! I’m John G in the twit community :grin:

2 Likes

It may seem a bit goofy but I have a less obvious tip for composing an outdoor scene to shoot.

Squint (or take off you glasses !)
Now you can only see the major shapes and colours, not detail.
This encourages you to try and balance the shot by weight of colour and light.

Then look at the composition in the viewfinder more clearly, and make any final adjustment to keep or ignore some detail you may want in the final shot.

2 Likes

Cool idea :sunglasses:

Filling for space

1 Like

Not my photograph, instead something posted by the National Weather Service Bay Area Twitter feed, hence the limited resolution. Could cropping and editing showcase the little bit of magic hidden in it: the segment of rainbow between the central tree and the clouds?

2 Likes

BRILLIANT. Not goofy.

3 Likes

I wonder if highlights being decreased and contrast increase would help

3 Likes

We were taught to do this in my graphic design course as a way to desaturate color and get a better feeling for tone.

I still do it 30 years later!

3 Likes

Using a quick guide by just resizing a window to cover parts of the picture, I would say get rid of the right hand section. The close cloud adds nothing much and under it also nothing you’ll miss.

Then you notice 3 distinct bands of colour and light.
Already you have a useful 3rds ratio to work with so lining up the final crop should be easier.

Alternatively removing the blue sky across the top gives you another dramatic scene, though leave enough to see a gradient into blue.
It suddenly looks a whole lot warmer and is satisfying in a different way.

2 Likes

I love HOP!! I’ve always used my iPhones to take pics of my family and on vacations, but never really thought about what goes into a photo - until Ant and HOP!! Post processing, heck no, no way, never thought about it!! Today, I just bought Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro and off we go…thank you soooooo much Ant😊

3 Likes