HOP 6: So Many Ways To Edit

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

3 Likes

What I love about HOP is that there are topics, techniques and ideas that even if you are an experienced shooter Ant reminds you to use what’s in your toolbox to make your photos a success.

3 Likes

Ant - thanks heaps from Aus, love your show, you really are killing it!! Time diff here in Aus means I knock off work on Friday, pour a (large) beautiful Whisky on a Friday night (neat of course :grinning:) (love how you love whisky too) and straight away kick-off HOP as I am prepping dinner. (mostly an Eye Fillet on the BBQ on a Friday night :clap: ) Watch the whole show again as I am having dinner, thinking about what I will shoot tomorrow. (Saturday) PLEASE keep the show going, you are teaching me and motivating me more than you know. :+1:

3 Likes

THANKS, @terrellcwoods. Your comment reminds me of one dadgum tool in Photoshop that NO ONE talks about, yet it could be super helpful for any level of photo retoucher. Know what it is? Press the “R” key on your keyboard. :wink:
Thanks so much for the support and for sharing the show, my man. :fist_right:t5::tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

You’re gonna make me blush, @AnfonyGH! :slight_smile:
THANK YOU. What did you end up shooting?
I had my first photo shoot Friday since relocating to California. It really felt good to get that mission checked off. I want to do more shoots here for clients in addition to producing and hosting my shows. I love what I do. And also, I challenged myself with a mobile photo editing workflow on Saturday. I shared that procedure on my Instagram page here.

Thanks for watching and sharing the show. Means a lot. :fist_right:t5::tumbler_glass: Here’s a virtual #singlemalt for ya

1 Like

Just watched HOP 6. Very, very cool. Two questions…when is a photo no longer a photo? I struggle with how much to post-process. Somehow a lot of pp feels like cheating :grin:. Second, when you added the headlight starburst layer, it added starburst over the near side of the lady’s head, which is sort of physically impossible. How much do you think about correcting for reality, or don’t you worry about it when you’re going for an overall look?

2 Likes

Good questions. THANKS for asking. Far as question one:

pho·tog·ra·phy

/fəˈtäɡrəfē/

noun

1. the art or practice of taking and processing photographs.

So in my opinion, once that definition is met, it’s always photography and a photo. :slightly_smiling_face:

Re: question 2

My post processing is all mood unless it’s for a client assignment or journalist purposes.

When I shoot, it’s because there was a mood or emotion that made me want to click the shutter. Oddly enough, a lot of times, I remember that mood or emotion when I get to my editing desk. When I see headlights during a night shoot, my eyes normally visualize then like lasers and star bursts. Yup. I’m weird like that. So you’ll see in a lot of my edits, a light source will have a Haze and blur because it will look like an actual beam of light. And you’ll see the star bursts because it’s how I see them. (Unless it’s something like the linear lights found on expensive cars)

I do struggle with post. Sometimes I over do it and have to walk away for a day. I stop when it feels right to me. Sometimes an over processed image feels right to me. Sometimes.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering Ant! As a new photographer, I’m really learning a lot from your show. I guess I’m going to have to let my artistic side loose a bit more and not worry about whether or not my post processing makes my photos into “something else” as long as I like the end result :grin:.

2 Likes

Definitely. If YOU like it, that’s a good start. Sure there will be criticism, but that’s all a part of the journey. Something tells me that not everyone liked Cubism back in the day. :wink:
THANKS for watching and sharing the shows​:fist_right:t5::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

@ant_pruitt Finally getting caught up on HOP. Where can I go to learn the “magic” you put into that Ps Action about the 21:10 mark? I was working along with you in Lr and Ps on a photo of mine and hit that part and I was done. :smirk:

1 Like

lol! THANKS. This is called a photoshop action. Actions are like macros. The actual action itself is a more advanced technique called frequency separation. I wasn’t getting into that technique until Jan or Feb because other things should be covered before that. I’ll push it up sooner in the schedule. I’ve been asked about this more than I expected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you!
Can you explain a little more why you increased the size the of photo x150% in Ps?

1 Like

Sure. There are times when I know I’m going to crop down. Sometimes, I see a better composition in post versus when I clicked the shutter. If I see a better composition in cropping, I want the best quality I can muster. Photoshop’s resize tool does a good job of giving me more data to work with to do heavy cropping. Unlike stretching an image to make it bigger.

2 Likes