HOP 174: Rick Sammon: Photographers' Go-to Tip

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

https://twit.tv/shows/hands-on-photography/episodes/174

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

I went through a phase of trying to use a smartphone with a decent camera -, Huawei. But I couldn’t get used to not having my control surfaces. I can’t cope with the flat touch interface. I respect your guests views, but have found a 24-105, works well for me

1 Like

That’s one of my favorite lenses. Utility. But his premise was based more on people talking tons of gear when they (most people ) can just use a phone. Thx for watching

1 Like

I get where he was coming from, and a single body with a multipurpose lens kind of fills that gap for me, maybe when I am in my 70s I will appreciate something lighter :grin:

I do see benefits potentially for street photography as a smartphone is way less obvious and less threatening as everyone has one.

The flipside though is you meet many people in a different way with a dSLR, I have found many people ask you to take photos of them with their phones or cameras and you can make many friends, I took a bunch of images of some cliff jumpers and divers in Portugal a couple of years ago and they still stay in touch.

It’s not the tool - it’s the image that counts!

Paul Smith-Keitley
Adobe Creative Educator

1 Like

For the majority, smartphone is perfect.

I used to be that guy who turned up at family events with my camera bag, Everybody else used their smartphones, sharing pics immediately, and if I’m honest, they usually got the better pics.

I haven’t taken the DSLR on a trip for several years now. I’m pretty sure a smaller mirrorless wouldn’t make any difference. A fixed lens maybe, but not going to spend the money to find out!

2 Likes

I don’t use a dSLR for family events, primarily because I can’t sell anything from them, but out and about and on trips it’s always camera first, and to be honest, if I won the lottery, i would probably buy a digital Hasselblad - just because :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ooooooh Hasselblad​:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Steady on there, I have to start buying lottery tickets first, if I win big, I’ll get you one too pull you away from that nasty iPhone :grin:

Paul Smith-Keitley
Adobe Creative Educator

1 Like