Homemade disinfectant wipes

Heard you are having trouble finding wipes. Here is an easy way to make some. Buy baby wipes and 70% rubbing alcohol combine and voila. Disclaimer I am not a Doctor but you can find plenty of documentation about alcohol killing viruses.
Better than nothing

Alcohol has been unobtainable for over a month in southern New England. However disinfecting wipes don’t use alcohol they use bleach (that’s why the big commercial brand is Clorox). Here’s a good article with instructions for making your own wipes.

If I can ever get pure alcohol I’d like to try to make some hand sanitizer.

2 Likes

Actually, that is a misnomer. Clorox wipes DO NOT actually have bleach in them - despite the name “Clorox.”

For years, I thought they did, but they don’t. I discovered this last year…

5 Likes

I had an old pack of disinfectant wipes that I found in my cabinet at work, but they had dried out. I used 70% alcohol and repurposed them so I could use them

I’ve been able to track down wipes (Clorox and alcohol 70% wipes) and 70% alcohol online - by checking a few websites a couple of times a day - 2x a day. Also got anti-bacterial soap and peroxide, but ya gotta put in effort to get them. I’ve been getting all sorts of stuff delivered every week.

I just spray Lysol on a paper towel.

2 Likes

Me too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:+1:
Wipes are a very convenient and no doubt highly profitable for Lysol and Clorox. And more expensive than disinfecting sprays + paper towels or rags.

2 Likes

Warning, spraying Lysol on a paper towel does not kill many bacteria and viruses. The surface needs to get wet and stay wet for a period of time specified in the product directions. Read the directions on your particular Lysol formula for details.

Here’s typical directions from Lysol:

Pre-clean surfaces prior to use. Hold can upright 6"" to 8"" from surface. Spray 3 to 4 seconds until covered with mist.

To Disinfect:

Surfaces must remain wet for 3 minutes then allow to air dry.
For Norovirus surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes then allow to air dry
Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use.

From: https://www.lysol.com/products/disinfectant-spray/lysol-disinfectant-spray-spring-waterfall/

3 Likes

Yea, I read a story comparing Clorox Wipes and Lysol Wipes. It said that the Lysol wipes work, but it takes 10 minutes to kill the virus. I think it was like 2 minutes with Clorox Wipes

1 Like

This is the one I use (30 Sec)

You didn’t read the instructions properly, 30 seconds is for sanitizing NOT disinfecting. Disinfecting is what they are talking about when they say “Kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria, including salmonella”

To sanitize/disinfect:

Pre-clean surface. Apply to surface until thoroughly wet.

To sanitize:
Leave for 30 seconds before wiping.

To disinfect:
Leave for 10 minutes before wiping. Rinse all food contact surfaces with water after use.

https://www.lysol.com/products/multi-purpose-cleaners/lysol-kitchen-pro-antibacterial-cleaner-trigger/

Of course the main point is that spraying it on a paper towel and wiping the surface does NOT sanitize or disinfect period.

1 Like