HOM 9: Homebrew Bundle: Set Up a Mac Fast

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

The bot didn’t seem to create a topic for HOM 9 tagged or maybe titled it incorrectly? Episode 9 doesn’t show up in the HOM community at https://www.twit.community/c/Conversations-about-our-shows/HOM/75

I love Leo doing these Hands-On Mac shows! I’ve been using Macs for 25+ years, recently bought the MBP 16" (my first with the Touch Bar), and am learning valuable bits and tips from every short episode.

I happened to watch this episode live, following along in the terminal using zsh (not fish) and briefly chatted with Leo after the show. I confirmed that the “;” works the same in zsh (the standard and my preferred shell) to separate commands. In the end, I went ahead and created the simple command shell script “update-mac” and put it in /usr/local/bin to execute occasionally. This is the whole script with the shebang line to indicate which shell to use:

#!/usr/bin/env zsh
sudo softwareupdate -ia --verbose ; brew bundle -v ; brew cleanup ; brew doctor --verbose

These “hands-on” shows have drawn me to watching online and participate in the TWiT community, rather than just listening to the audio podcasts on the iPhone or iPad.

Many thanks for these brief HOM shows, Leo!
Doug

Can’t wait . I just setup a dual boot Ryzen 3600 hackintosh with Catalina and OSX is still new to me.

Will be subscribing :star_struck:

Will the tips work on Mojave? (Prefer Mojave because of changes to Mail.app in Catalina.) Is iTerm2 required for series? Cannot remove iterm2 so restored form SuperDuper! backup. Thank you.

Yes, most everything shown so far works on older Mac OS versions and HW. I’m following along on a brand-new MBP 16" with 10.15.4 Catalina and my 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 running 10.11 High Sierra. iTerm2 is not required and I don’t use it…I’m sticking with standard Terminal and zsh (not fish). Go ahead and give it a try…this all should work well with Mojave.

Many thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Love the show Leo.

Just a note, the semicolons in fish are just like the semicolons in bash. They are quite different than ampersands.

Semicolon separates command will run each in sequence. Upon exit of one command, the next will run.

If you separate commands with “&&” then the subsequent commands only execute if the exit status was 0 (success). In this way, you can chain commands and only have some run where they are dependent on the prior commands being successful.

ALternative, you can separate commands with “||” (pipes) and those will run if the prior command had failed. This is useful if you have multiple ways to achieve something, prioritizing one method over another. And once one is successful, the subsequent method will not execute.

Just thought I’d share. Again, love the new show.

1 Like