Hands-On iOS: What do you want me to cover?

Have a question, topic, or app you want me to cover on Hands-On iOS? Let me know right here!

2 Likes

Hello, Just wondering is they’re a way to take a note in notes and turn that into a word document?

2 Likes

Shortcuts; I’d like to see some real world examples of ways to use what appears to be a power-user feature/app.

5 Likes

I think Family Sharing is an underrated feature that more people need to know exists. There’s no need for family members to share an account or buy apps twice!

2 Likes

Yes! Shortcuts!! And maybe in-depth with the Home app?

Hey, what about covering some ways iOS DOESN’T WORK right? Like how sometimes you get no sound for notifications. Or custom rings sometimes don’t seem to work… Let people know they aren’t crazy: it’s not you, it’s iOS…

2 Likes

Another vote for short cuts and I have a specific example:

I take every day after lunch. I want a short cut that I can invoke with the number of minutes the timer should be set for AND turn on do not disturb AND turn off do not disturb after the timer goes off. So the command would be something like “Nap Time 20” for a 20 minute nap.

3 Likes

Just a small thing, but since the last update all my notifications are too loud! When I get a WhatsApp message or an SMS it’s like a gong. And I can’t seem to turn it down any further or it’s silent.
I’m sure there are lots of other things that I don’t know how to do, but I don’t know what they are :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Top 10 or even Top 5 messaging apps. Then explore some of their perks, drawbacks, etc. Personally right now I’m on messenger because it works on the most number of my devices and all my important people are there. But I enjoy learning and finding new things.

2 Likes
  • How to create PDFs and send in email or save to files (and can these be signed)
  • How to add ringtones and message tones that are NOT in the iTunes store
  • Google Maps vs Apple Maps vs Waze
  • Using Authy or Google Authenticator for 2FA rather than text messages (which is less secure)
  • Fun with photos - apps to do magical things such as swapping faces, erasing objects
  • Difference between backing up your iPhone/iPad to iCloud and syncing to iCloud, and alternatives to syncing since iCloud is not 100% secure
  • What to do if your iPhone or iPad is stolen

Thanks!

4 Likes

I had actually suggested this as a segment for The New Screen Savers a few years back. I imagined 3 hosts racing from a pre-determined destination to the studio and each using a different map app. Ideally, at least one would send someone over a different bridge out of SF instead of everyone just having the same route.
I still think it was a fun idea.

4 Likes

Modern day orienteering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you seen GAIA GPS app? Unbelievable.

Star-gazing apps
Bird watching apps

1 Like

I can’t say I have. On the subject of navigation, Waze is totally useless for me. Apple Maps is actually not bad and I like how Apple Watch taps you just before the phone tells you your next instruction. My first stop is still Google Maps though even though Google Timeline has become very inaccurate lately on my iPhone - might as well not have it switched on; a whole day at work and it reckons I’ve been riding the trails all day.

1 Like

I like Waze for the real time crowd-sourced info like state patrol (the law) locations or distressed vehicle on side of road, etc.

GAIA is not that type of mapping app. There are many different layers you can purchase from TOPO to satellite to property ownership records. I use it for hiking and backpacking. Totally replaces my Garmin 64st.

1 Like

Looks very interesting. I’m not that avid a hiker, but when I go walking in the national parks, I use Avenza Maps. Basically, you load up a PDF map published by the park and your position is superimposed so you can follow the trails.

2 Likes

Agree this would be a fun segment to watch (and probably to produce) but ultimately not sure how helpful it would be given that the maps apps vary so widely depending on where you are. You might highlight some cool different features, but the result will be a bunch of people saying “XYZ is great where I am” and “XYZ is garbage where I am”. Maybe I’m just too cynical. :upside_down_face:

A review of the new iOS side car feature that allows you to use an ipad as a tablet. How does using an iPad compared to a Wacom or other Tablets?

1 Like

Hello Mikah, I know this isn’t new but would like a deep dive on iPad “multi-tasking” such as it is. I really find the swipe over and side by side functionality so un-intuitive and frustrating.

3 Likes

Second that one big time. Was going to suggest this myself. I’ve done it accidentally and have a heck of time getting rid of it.

3 Likes