HamWAN - A modern, multi-megabit, IP-based, digital network for amateur radio use!

I was just looking at this project and thought it was neat for municipal projects. Wonder if I can get the equipment for data packets and use it as a radio?

The reason this would make sense here is that transit and other organizations in my city also use similar (if not the same) radio technology.

http://hamwan.org/

What would be the advantage of this over traditional PtP networking hardware? For the same cost, I can have a link set up over several miles with over 100Mb/s throughput.

I should note, that I am not yet an amateur radio licensee, so my knowledge there is limited. I am taking my technician exam next month. I do a lot of networking for my job, so I do have experience there though.

Topology would be one as far as I understand. The cost is only about $200. I can imagine not more than $500. Low power is key as to lower the RF emissions. Most radio based transmission of this type would not exceed 5 Mbps as I recall.

I also know while Ham is not going away as a radio technology, rural areas benefit from this technology as well.