Help choose the correct router

Hello
To describe the situation
I have a netgear router that is downstairs and getting so slow when testing it upstairs
There is NO way to change the touter or reposition it
Im looking for a solution (not extender) to fix this issue
With reasonable cost

So im looking at an orbi ac3000 priced as $160 with a router and one satellite
Want to see if
1- can i set the orbi as bridge/AP mode and also connect the satellite to it so the original router stays as is
2- is it good in quality
3- is it able to provide good speed
4-Compare this to a triband netgear (or TP link)router to be used as AP
Thank you

If your current coverage is not good, I am a big advocate of a mesh network. There are a number of them, and everyone has their favourite. I like the Linksys Velop because it supports wired backhaul but if that’s not important to you, then every major brand has a product. Google supposedly even has a new one coming soonish which will support WiFi 6e which would theoretically allow it to use the 6GHz bandwidth for backhaul since it’s almost a guarantee you don’t have any endpoint using that bandwidth yet, and may not for some time. The Linksys Velop 6E device is still stupidly expensive ($800US or something) so hopefully Google entering that market will drive down prices.

You might consider looking to see if someone has something mesh on Ebay/CraigsList that is still recent enough to be getting firmware/security updates but would save you some money if that’s any issue. (Some people just HAVE to have the newest thing and seem to sell their old gear as used.)

1 Like

So i ended up getting a 3 unit eero 6
Hope that works
the best buy person told me it is recommended to use my own router plus this but it can work as router as well

Im hoping for the good quality
Will test and let you know
Thanks again

Oh no it doesn’t have lan output :frowning:

Have to inform that the wifi speed is close to ethernet even more than my router’s original speed
Im trying to see if I can justify not having ethernet port would be a deal breaker or not

So if you please help me decide till i have time to return this and get another one

With the less loss speed this eero6 have
And the price
Can I compromise having lan output on satellite unit to connect to my laptop (maybe for game)?
Or should i consider any alternative in same price range?
TP link mesh
Orbi
Netgear nighthawk
Google
Etc

I guess I need to understand where the LAN port you’re missing is? If I understood you before, you were saying you were finding it slow on the WiFi upstairs. So I presume you didn’t have a LAN port upstairs. I’m also unclear, did you just plug it into your existing router or replace it. I presume your existing router probably has multiple LAN ports (as most seem to do so.) I am not familiar with the Eero, beyond that it’s an Amazon product, but maybe it doesn’t have LAN ports and you replaced your old router?

1 Like

Sorry for confusion

The main router is far from me so I can’t use wires or get a good wifi signal

So I bought the eero6 to connect it to the router with wires and use the satellite unit to get wifi

But i was thinking if my laptop is better to be connected with wires or wifi is sufficient (if that makes sense as it is wireless to begin with)

Eero has no wire lan output on the satellite units so wifi is the only option

On the other hand, orbi ac3000 has lan output on satellite unit as well
But orbiac3000 is from 2017 but it is triband

I haven’t seen any drop on eero so far as i tested some place else

So the question is does that male scene to buy any other brand that is better and is in same price range or should i stick with amazon :joy:

Orbi is 150
Netgear has one around 200
Tp link has cheaper one
Etc

Well, wired is only faster and less latent if it is wired the entire way. So using a wire from the laptop to the wireless remote in a mesh network is probably not going to benefit you a lot, latency wise. There may be some throughput benefits, but if you’re using that kind of bandwidth on any sort of a regular basis, then you would be way better off wiring up anything involved. (I’m thinking here, for example, if you were frequently moving large files between your laptop and say a NAS, you would get the best experience if the laptop and the NAS were both wired into the same network device (say a switch or router.))

In the end, your ISP only supplies so much speed and capacity, and you’re now putting it through two gateways (the original router and the new Eero) and this is going to have more of an impact on your speed and latency than being wired into the mesh network could ever compensate for.

1 Like

Thank you for the details

So ill keep the eero for this situation till find a better way

One last question
Im not familiar with how these eeros work as router so im putting it after the original netgear router and it is working fine
Do you thnk it would be bettere or worse if i move it before the other router without changing the other router to bridge/ ap mode
I haven’t change any settings in eero and it was working completely fine with existing router

I think these mesh routers are generally all patterned after the Eero (because it was first to market) and they all generally try to be “friendly” and “just work”. Usually that means they don’t have the most full featured user interface and thus not much access to the features. (I think a lot of them expect you to use an app on your phone to manage them.) That said, they’re sold to be used as your sole router for a household, so I assume they have all the normal safety features you’d expect, most particularly NAT and some level of packet inspection. In theory you could remove your previous router, or at least disable its WiFi, because you really don’t need the two WiFi systems competing to be in charge.

If your existing router is still receiving supports and updates, you could leave it in place (with the WiFi disabled) and then put the Eero into Bridge mode so that it only does WiFi and nothing else. This would avoid any issues with double NAT. (Not that that is necessarily bad, but it can sometimes make things more complicated.)

On the other hand, the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. So if you’re working and happy there is a certain logic to doing nothing for now until you find a reason to meddle again.

1 Like