Half Moon Run uses Two Mics

This group “Half Moon Run” uses two mikes taped together. Can anyone tell me why the would do that?

1 Like

Could be as simple as two feeds for different purposes. Also, think people combine two different mics with different characteristics to get the sound they want. A few suggestions online that you can have two out-of-phase mics to give a noise-cancelling effect too.

3 Likes

My thoughts would build on what Jamze said, I’d say that that the concert is being recorded. The mics used for a PA system are likely to be different from the mics used to record it and mix it later.

Different sound engineers would have a different preference of which mic to use for each scenario.

1 Like

I just assume it’s left and right. They don’t want to dupe the same signal to make it full mono, so they’re recording two streams of the same audio with minimal difference to make it a full room stereo sound.

Not saying this is why Half Moon Run is doing it, but The Grateful Dead used to do this in Owlsley’s Wall of Sound setup to prevent feedback:

The Wall of Sound acted as its own monitoring system, and it was therefore assembled behind the band so the members could hear exactly what their audience was hearing. Because of this, Stanley and Alembic designed a special microphone system to prevent feedback. This placed matched pairs of condenser microphones spaced 60 mm apart and wired in reverse polarity from each other. The vocalist sang into the top microphone, and the lower mic picked up whatever other sound was present in the stage environment. The signals were added together using a differential summing amp so that the sound common to both mics (the sound from the Wall) was canceled, and only the vocals were amplified.[10]

1 Like

Makes sense. Wonder if Heil or others have incorporated this into a single mic