Audio hiss with an off-body mic 😡

Any tips what causes it and how to reduce it?

I’m doing a video of Isabelle playing some piano pieces for a Parkinsons charity Zoom call. I’m using my Nikon DSLR with an old Sony MS907 condenser mic which has always been pretty good for recording pianos with DAT and MiniDisk recorders.

But with my DSLR I’m getting continual hiss. I’ve turned off auto-level mode (it was clipping too) but the hiss seems consistent irrespective what mic level you have. Puzzled :thinking:. Just poor electronics in the Nikon?

1 Like

Not an answer, but can you use the mic in another device (a phone maybe?) and then use a video editor to apply the sound to the video after the fact. (That presumes the hiss won’t be present on the other device, if it is, you may need a new mic/arrangement.) If you go this route, make sure you have a sharp sound at the beginning that is on video and audio to do the sync (a sharp clap would work.) I have a copy of Adobe Premier Elements that lets you slide the audio around separate from the video, but I presume any video editing app must have this ability.

EDIT: This is basically what “real” movie/video production does, because they use foley to get pristine sound effects that would be too hard to capture on video without the mic being in shot.

Second EDIT: I know that Alex Lindsay has a daily call-in where you might be able to ask a question like this, Leo mentioned this again recently at the wind-up of the last Sunday’s This Week In Tech.

2 Likes

Thanks.

The folks at the charity are actually doing the video edits, cos this will be a montage with other performers at the start of the Zoom call.

I was planning on 3 cameras all running at the same time, then they can cut together if they want. I’d assumed the Nikon would be best for the audio - maybe not :slightly_smiling_face: But you need the mic above the piano strings really.