Guests for Future Triangulation episodes

I think may be @Leo should set up an episode with the authors of the Pragmatic Programmer book, Dave Thomas & Andy Hunt. They are releasing the 20th Anniversary Edition of the book. I know Leo is a hobbyist programmer, it would be a very interesting show.

As recommended by @cuad in discussion of Mac Break Weekly 686 in response to Alex Lindsay’s ramblings on California’s housing crisis fueled in part by tech and venture money chasing after its innovations, I think interviewing Strong Towns author Charles L. Marohn, Jr. might make for an excellent Triangulation episode because it sounds like he has grasped and can explain the unsuitability of current civic financing, with specific emphasis on housing development.

2 Likes

And to add a bit onto this as someone who has been following his work for a while, Charles is just has this amazing way of bringing different disciplines (engineering, placemaking, social psychology, economics, philosophy) together to form a cohesive idea of towns/cities as a complex human habitat. And his description of cities as well as his take on the American development pattern since WW2 just adds so much color to other tech adjacent stories like the Amazon HQ2 search, self-driving cars, etc that I think he’s a no-brainer for a deep dive conversation on Triangulation. Dream guest, in my opinion. I would say book him soon though, as this book is starting to really bring more attention to him and his non-profit.

1 Like

I personally would be interested primarily in how his critique should bolster established municipalities’ resilience against developer power-plays, not (just) new towns (as relevant as that may be elsewhere in tech as you’ve mentioned with Amazon’s HQ2 stunt). If it’s just him expounding upon his own blue-sky vision for small-town America, then I actually wouldn’t be that interested, after all, I have to say.

I’m still gunning for Andrew Marantz, author of Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation (Leo said he requested him, so we’ll see.)

I’d also love for Nicholas Carr to be interviewed sometime…three great books (The Shallows, The Glass Cage, Utopia is Creepy), and I don’t think he’s ever been on Triangulation. Same with Sherry Turkle, wonderful author/researcher on the interpersonal/social impacts of technology.

Finally, check-ins with Andrew Keen, Jaron Lanier, and Tim Wu would be great…always love hearing from these guys!

And here’s another one (who will almost certainly never be chosen, but I’ll never give up trying): Rana Foroohar, author of “Don’t Be Evil: How Big Tech Betrayed Its Founding Principles - and All of Us”

Fantastic new book, though not for the head-in-the-sand crowd. If you couldn’t slog your way through Zuboff, McNamee, or Keen but really wanted to, this would be a good alternative.

1 Like

Eben Moglen of the FreedomBox initiative, a fully free-software and open-source/libre hardware turn-key solution for a private cloud capable also of supplanting social media with capabilities such as running one’s own private Apple Messages server.

1 Like

Jessica Riskin, Stanford History professor:
https://history.stanford.edu/people/jessica-riskin

based on her vital critique of opioid-capital-ist “neo-liberal” happy-fascism:

doubtless undergirded by her perspective garnered in the process of authoring her most recent book:

1 Like

I’m still hoping that Stu Shostak, the TV historian who has done Stu’s Show for 14 seasons now would be a great fit on a Triangulation episode given that he interviews The Giz Wiz himself. Dick DeBartolo on the annual Christmas Gift Guide every year plus other guests each season and that he has a technology background too when streaming the show.

1 Like

A long time ago, I suggested in an e-mail that I think Fr. Robert would be a great Triangulation guest. I’d love to here his in-depth history.

3 Likes