Green dot in Finder?

What does a green dot next to a file in Finder mean?

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 19.11.32

“You” have tagged the file. You can tag files with different colours or categories…

2 Likes

Ah right, I must have accidentally tagged it. I don’t use tags in Finder.

1 Like

No problems, I have seen the tags, but never used them myself, so I had to google it as well.

1 Like

I guess I could have googled it, but wash in a rush and firing off a forum post was quicker!

1 Like

Sometimes, even googling is difficult, if you don’t hit the exact combination of keywords. I got hundreds of irrelevant results, I had to refine the search a bit, until something relevant turned up.

Green dots in macOS Finder? The first couple of pages of the first search were about the green dots under apps on the dock, then on totally unrelated (non-Apple) services. Google-Fu really is a thing, unfortunately, and with the results from the major search engines getting worse and worse and ever more irrelevant, it is getting harder and harder.

Google really went down hill a decade ago. Start searching for “handbook” or “error code” for a specific product, what are you looking for? A PDF with information on the product or information pages about the product, maybe forums where errors are discussed. But you get page upon page of adverts to buy the product or price comparison sites… Everything you really don’t want in that moment, if the product has gone wrong and is displaying an error code, the last thing you want is to buy another one!

(This is a rant at search engines in general, not you asking an innocent question, so please don’t get me wrong, I was pleased to be able to help.)

2 Likes