Going bananas with car bluetooth - I can hear them but they can't hear me!

I bought a new Honda CR-V about 5 months ago. I think about 3 months ago, I noticed that whenever someone called me and my iPhone is connected to the car system via bluetooth, they cannot hear me but I can hear them. Also, if I try to use Siri handsfree by pressing the appropriate button on the steering wheel (again, iPhone is connected via bluetooth), it does the Siri beep over the car speakers but it cannot hear me speak. IF, however, I long press the side button directly on my iPhone, Siri will come up over the car speakers (I can hear the Siri beep) and it DOES hear me and Siri will reply over the car speakers.

Moreover, when I hook the iPhone directly to the USB port of the car and use CarPlay, ZERO problems. Now, you can say just use CarPlay but I find the screen too low for me to use safely.

I finally took it to the dealer. They replaced the microphone. Same issues. I am scheduled to take it back next week but my guess is they will be as perplexed as I am.

Any ideas whatsoever is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Alle has always been problematic when it comes to in case audio. My Qashqai only used to work with cable, although with my android phones, it worked over Bluetooth.

Not many cars support wireless CarPlay, so that might be worth checking, whether it is connecting as a Bluetooth headset or trying to use CarPlay.

I checked my company iPhone SE with my car yesterday and it does now work for audio playback.

Edit: sorry, I was by the dealer booking the car in and had to stop writing…

Is it possible that an ios update broke it? I’ve had that happen a few times with ios, Android and Windows Phone.

Is there a firmware update for the entertainment system? Mine kept cutting out and the dealer updated mine too the latest firmware for 25€.

Honestly it sounds like the microphone on your car is broken/disconnected. You might want to have that checked.

Thanks Leo. I actually did take it to the dealer earlier this week and they replaced the microphone. And, if it is the mic, then why would CarPlay work? Would CarPlay use a different mic?

1 Like

Oh duh - I should have read your inital post more clearly. CarPlay does not use Bluetooth. I suspect that’s why it works when other solutions do not.

2 Likes

IF, however, I long press the side button directly on my iPhone, Siri will come up over the car speakers (I can hear the Siri beep) and it DOES hear me and Siri will reply over the car speakers.

But I guess it’s using the iPhone mic rather than your car?

It sounds like you’ve only got the audio connection enabled over BT. Is there a screen similar to this in iOS? If so, check both calls and audio are enabled when connected to the car bluetooth (mine are off at the moment as I’m not in the car).

Or there might be a setting somewhere on the car to enable the BT headset or handsfree profile?

Or your car’s BT headset profile or mic is still faulty.

Honda finally fixed the problem after I took it back in again and they actually did their proper due diligence and sync’d their own phones to the audio system (instead of just running a diagnostic and relying on codes). Ended up the entire audio unit had to be replaced.

Lesson learned: When you get a call saying they fixed the bluetooth issue and your car is ready to pick up, ask them if they actually paired their own phones to the dang thing! Would have saved me the time and the extra trip to drop off and pick up!

2 Likes