Events 5: CES 2020 - On the Floor Part 2

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

4 Likes

Cool stuff, are there any interesting products from Sony Alpha line?

1 Like

My reaction to CES so far has been: Dick DeBartolo’s picks were fun, seeing Leo look over his next car was great, and the new things from HP looked really good.

The rest? Not so much. The reporting was fine, I just don’t find the shiny new products, or the way in which their makers present them at a show, that interesting. I’m fine with finding out about them through the regular TWiT shows, which are really good at covering all the news.

I was having a conversation with a colleague recently about this. We used to attend tech shows regularly in the US and Europe, but these days it doesn’t seem worth it. All the best conversations now happen electronically, not face-to-face. We both thought that tech shows are slowly dying, at least in Europe. Maybe the biggest ones, like CES in the US, will survive, but a lot of the second-tier ones are either gone, or amalgamating multiple shows into one event with different branding for sections of the floorspace.

2 Likes

It was interesting to see all the things Leo, Ant, Scott, et al showed on the CES2020 videos. Yet, it’s really starting to bother me how expensive everything is getting to be. I’m starting to understand my fetish for getting the top of the line iPhone every year, because that seems to be the pinnacle of my tech affordability. Honestly, with say, TV’s, by the time 4K TV’s finally became affordable to me, the tech has moved onto the next best thing.

It makes me wonder how long tech will be as interesting to me as it has been. I used to get really excited about the new things phones could do. But as more time is given to $20,000 Red cameras or $35,000 Mac Pro’s, my mind wanders.

Although I might be able to afford that robot that brings you toilet paper…

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing of all the technologies down the pike! Some we will see soon to within a few years or so. And to see the companies involved and the layout is quite fascinating!:smiley:

3 Likes

They didn’t show off much we don’t already know about. More was about displays and AI and 3D

1 Like

I had trepidation for similar reasons. Before getting there, I spent a few days wondering would it be feasible for me to go next year or after. But seeing that some companies are really trying to improve upon existing products or innovative with things that just may make life easier for an average person or a creator, I want to go back next year. Yes, some of it is seriously expensive. Some of it is tired or redundant. But seeing something like Insta360 mashing up a bunch of cameras into a modular, PORTABLE option was one of the things that excited me. I got the email prior to the launch, but I wanted to see and feel it with my own hands. But yes, I totally get where you’re coming from.

2 Likes

You’re right, of course, there is still innovation at CES, and I shouldn’t characterise it all as being tired. It was fun seeing you and Leo enthuse over some of the better innovations, and you both seem to bring out the best in the stand staff discussing their products. I hope you do get the chance to go again and show us things that are worth taking note of, picking them out of the mass of more ordinary products.

2 Likes

THANKS, @Clayton. I appreciate the “bringing out the best” remark. It’s REALLY HARD getting some of those folks in the booth to speak about their products. You get a mix between marketing people that over sell or just memorized a spec sheet. Or you’ll get an engineer that knows the nuts and bolts, but isn’t used to speaking publicly about their work. Or you’ll luck out and get someone that’s the perfect balance of knowing their product as well as knowing how to relate what they have to the masses. :slight_smile:

3 Likes