Controlling TV/Roku/FireStick/Alexa via voice

Hey all! So my goal as a disabled person is to control my TV via voice. I’ve already tried the Harmony Companion Hub thing for $150 and the hub itself will not connect to wifi despite all of their troubleshooting steps. It doesn’t show up in the router despite numerous attempts. I really think the hub itself is defective.

So here’s the setup -
A Vizio TV (E291i-A1 to be exact)
Roku 4 on HDMI 1
FireTV Stick on HDMI 2
An Echo Dot
A local Plex server on my LAN which works fine per https://support.plex.tv/articles/236324808-alexa-voice-commands if that matters.

My current remote is the Logitech 665 which works fine but doesn’t support Alexa nor the hub.

Again, my goal is to not rely on a remote and use voice only. I understand that I need the Harmony hub but also a basic remote that is back-lit if voice fails for whatever reason.

I don’t really want to pay another $250-$350 for the top-end Harmony Remotes just to be able to control them via Alexa (the Echo Dot), but is that pretty much the only solution?

I’m disabled as well, though, I am able to use my limbs, I do use my voice to control my TV setup. I have the Harmony Hub, Google Home, and a Chromecast. I have a Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV, but I have never tried controlling them with my voice. To be honest, I hardly ever use them anyway. While I no longer use Plex, I do use Emby. I think if I upgraded to a paid membership, I’d be able to use my voice to select my shows to watch, but I just use my phone to control whatever my voice can’t.
A remote isn’t necessary if you can get the Hub working. I just use the Hub app on my phone.

1 Like