Behind the Shot. Guest appearance

In case you all are interested, I was a guest on Behind the Shot where Steve likes to discuss a photographer’s shot.

1 Like

Great talk, Mr. Oompa Loompa. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hahahaha!!! NO idea why I even had that slider open on the screen. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
THX for watching, sir. :blush:

1 Like

One thing you said was that you observe the sun, observe shadows etc. stop the car and take the picture.

I think this sums up taking a good picture. You need that picture in your head to start with (not necessarily before you leave the house, but in the moment). You need to be able to see it, to frame it. You “see” the shot and that is the beginning of the creative process.

I can walk around with the camera for hours and not see a picture worth taking, another time, I’ll see dozens of things that will make a great picture. Some of my “worst” photos are from situations, where I am forced to take photos - I had to spring in for the official photographer at my wife’s goddaughter’s wedding, they got held up in traffic.

There was a lot of “you must take this shot”, “you must take that shot”. The shots were okay, but didn’t have that something special. Walking around the reception afterwards, taking candid shots, I could suddenly see moments and capture them. Those photos were much more alive than those forced shots. A photographer really needs that moment to get the creative juices flowing, you can’t always take that perfect shot on demand.

I assume that model and portrait photographers also have that, you have the model pose for you and you click away, waiting for that special moment, when it just goes “click” and everything falls into place?

2 Likes

Love the description of how you made the shot. Steve’s description of the image was interesting as well, I’d have gone with a transparent blue scarf waving in the wind for the ghostly light stripe across the image (I won’t spoiler it any more than that, for those that want to watch the episode with fascination).

Edit: I think the reason why the eye jumps to the blue band is exactly because the rest of the image is sharp, whereas the band has an ethereal, almost unreal look to it.

1 Like

Yesssss. I’ve been there. Doesn’t feel good at all. Ugh!

Thanks for this. Yeah when I have my night walks, especially when out of town, I just got with my feelings. Sometimes a scenario presents itself and I work out a shot in my head.

The ethereal description you mentioned = chef’s kiss :smile:

1 Like

Great watch, just sub’d to Steve’s channel. I didn’t realize you were also in IT. Found that bit of the conversation particularly interesting.

1 Like

THX. Yeah most of the photographers I have met have a tech background. Crazy :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes